Complete France Forum

College & extra-curricular activities

SaligoBay

My son does 4 activits this year, and a neighbour said to me last week that he'll have to stop when he goes to collge in September, because there's so much work, they hardly have time for anything else at all, and her granddaughter only manages to get horse-riding once a week now that she's in 6ime.

He's only 9, I think it's sad that he has to stop having fun already! Is it true, is collge really soooooooooo hard and time-consuming?

Thank you,
SaligoBay

Well they certainly do get a lot more homework and work a longer day,but that shouldn't completely stop the activities. At collge the system is such that every three months you get a report posted to you regarding the term's results and they always seemed to be having contrles. There are also a lot more projects to do at home usually with a couple of friends. We were proud when my daughter and three friends won the first prize in the Dept for a history project they spent weeks on researching and then presenting. Lyce I can tell you, is even worse as ours have to get up at 6.15am and don't get home until about 6.30pm and are always so tired.

Our son started college in September and chose to go into a class that does Section Sportive, he chose football but he could have done basketball, golf or gym.

These activities are additional to his normal school week but fit in around the curriculum. In his college although he starts at 8am and finishes at 5pm, except wednesdays when he finishes at noon, there are gaps in his timetable that allow for this extra activity. The other children either go home or into 'permanence', while he does his football. With the curriculum Physical Education of 4 hours per week and his football, he has 8 hours in total for sport.

He still manages to go football training on a wednesday afternoon and plays for the local team on saturdays. He also has time to visit his friends or have them around here.

He does get tired in the evenings but will go to bed early if that is the case.

There are many controles he takes and homework in preparation for these but he still has time to be a child.

I do believe however that for kids at college it is not easy to manage to fit everything in.

Jongleur

Archived