Complete France Forum

Educating Charlotte (10)

Cazs

Having made the decision to move, we are nervous about educating our 10 year old daughter in France. We are looking to move next year, having bought a place last year and doing it up. She will be 11 in October, and we plan to move south of Limoges (Limousin). She is academic, but also very sporty. I am not sure whether she would be better doing a resit year at the local school before going to college, or just going straight to college.... has anyone any experiences or advice ??

My daughter was just 10 when she started french school andthey were a bit worried she was too old as collge was not that far off,but doing an extra year benefitted her and her brother no end. They need a good grounding in french grammar and language before starting collge because larger classes mean less help personally by the teacher. There are various outside bodies that can give extra after school tuition and language help and the school will give you details. What you daughter must do, is to mix with as many kids as possible as they will help her to speak and gain confidence.

My daughter was 10 when she started school here in France in August. After discussions with the teachers she decided to stay for an extra year in primary school rather than go straight to college, allowing her to build on her language skills. She and her 9 year old brother were taken out of lessons and given tuition together on the basics of French by a teachers assistant. Gradually as their knowledge improved they could take part in the normal classroom activities. Now just 8 months down the line they participate totally in all lessons and are now doing the same homework as the other children. School here is more regimented than in England. I am amazed at their progress but it is very hard for them and by making french friends their language improves just by playing.

good luck

Kim

Archived