Complete France Forum

Teaching English in school bnvole

SaligoBay

The English-teaching intervenantes in l'cole primaire only get paid for a certain number of hours. They've reached that limit now, so they're offski.

And guess what - the school have asked me to take over the English lessons.

Reactions from English people: "That's nice, it'll be something to put on your CV, keep you off the streets etc".

Reactions from French people: "Ils te prennent pour une imbecile, ou quoi?" "J'spre que tu leur as dit NON" etc etc.

It's been interesting listening to them, they're all quite outraged about what a disgraceful state French education is in, the Ed Nat should pay for the whole year, not put unqualified people in front of classes etc etc.

When I said that if I didn't do it, the children wouldn't have any English at all, they said well that's just tough - if the intervenantes won't do it for nothing, why should you? I think they have a point there

hmm I guess it depends how many hours *exactly* they are talking about? I see both POV!

Isn't there some sort of verboten thing anyway about volunteering in the State system? When I offered my services to the maternelle, they were polite but adamant that it was just not allowed. However, I did give English lessons in my daughter's (private R/C) school - they fell over themselves to get me in there (lol)! I used the BBC Muzzy video and workbook - but working with them (CE2) was certainly an education from my perspective

If you can come to some sort of regular but ad hoc-ish, no ties if you can't make it, type of arrangement - I would encourage it, wouldn't it be better for local relations?

m

• 2 weeks later...

Archived