Complete France Forum

Coming to the Gard for 1 year-need advice on schools

Avalon Butterfly

Hi Everyone,

I just found this site, and have been reading the education forum. So glad I found you!

I am moving to France for 1 year starting next August (so August 2005-August 2006). I have son who will be 9 (birthday in Sept, so he'll be 10 soon after we arrive) and a daughter who will be 6.

I am having such a difficult time trying to decide if I should send Connor to the public school in the village, and I am not sure exactly where we'll be staying yet, but most likely in the Gard.

He is so smart and bright and confident in school here in the US-we now live in New England in US-and I don't want him to loose his confidence or feel as though he is getting behind because he does not speak French yet. Of course we are taking classes, and have a year to learn. I hear that most villages do not have the funds to offer extra help if he is falling behind.

Also, I would feel better if he went to a bilingual school, but it seems they are few and far between, and the private ones are expensive. I did hear of one called College St. Francois Regis in Montpelier, but can not find any info on it.

I am less concerned about my daughter, Rowan as I think she will adjust better as she is younger.

Also, is there any way to get out of the jabs? I had started Connor and Rowan on their immunizations, but started to read some scarry info on them. Here in the US I have to get a form that states we do not get them for "religious reasons", which is how we can get out of it here.

Any advice would be sooooo much appreciated! I can't tell you all how many hours I have spent doing research in front of my computer, and I feel like I have not gotten anywhere.

Thank you!  Amy

Anno~ Thanks for the web info on the school!

It is so hard to know if Connor would do well in a state school, which is where I would love to send both he and Rowan (daughter 6) After reading the posts about the boys who became depressed and withdrawn, I felt I should try to come up with a 'plan B' in case he did not take to the school. He is very bright, but a bit introverted. We have a year before we go to France, and we are taking lessons and I am hoping that will help us to feel more confident.

We are going for the experience after all~we love France and I want to be immersed in the culture-just don't want to make it too hard on the kids for the year.

Thanks again, and I welcome any advice on the topic of schooling in France!

~Amy

Archived