Complete France Forum

Moving to 64 with kids!! Any advice.

Simba

We are currently looking at properties around lower 40 and upper 64, mainly around Orthez.  We have 3 children 10, 7 and 2 and are although are all enthusiastic about the new move and life, of course I am worried sick about how they will cope (especially my 10 year old daughter).  Any advice would be great and any details of schools in the area would be fantastic as finding the right school is our priority.  Thank you for any help you can offer a worried mum.

I know exactly how u feel.  We have a house in Brittany and have put ours here in the UK on the market. As soon as it sells we are moving to our little french country retreat with our 3 children age 10, 7 and 3.  So although i feel it the best move for them i know it's going to break my heart watching them settle in,  but i suppose its going to get worse before better and they love it out in France, all that space and freedom, i've even bought a horse here to take with us when we go.

Its a big and brave step and i keep telling myself it will be ok.  I've found alot of helpful and friendly people who live very near to where were moving so that should make it a bit easier.

Good luck and keep in touch to let me know how your getting on,  we can exchange probably very similar notes!

Cary

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, we live about 20k from Orthez. Our daughter goes to the local school in our village and loves it. She is 10 and started school here when she was 9, which we were worried about, as she would have learned french quicker if she were younger, but since day one she has enjoyed going (which was a major worry for us). I wouldn't say it's not difficult for her, but she copes very well and is slowly making good friends there. Some children come as far away as Mourenx and around, so it must be quite a good school.

If you want any help or info, send me an email

Some friends of ours moved over to the Charente last Summer. Kids of 7,6 and 4 and they have settled in brilliantly. The kids took about 6 months to be fairly fluent and their life is on the up. They have little money and none of the material things they had here but there REAL life is superb.

Live your life, you're along time ALIVE.

Some friends of ours moved over to the Charente last Summer. Kids of 7,6 and 4 and they have settled in brilliantly. The kids took about 6 months to be fairly fluent and their life is on the up. They have little money and none of the material things they had here but there REAL life is superb.

Live your life, you're along time ALIVE.

Archived