Complete France Forum

4 year old needs a friend

eva

Hi,

we have just moved to dept 81 and live near Soreze.  We have two daughters age 4 and 2.  My elder daughter misses her English playmates very much.  If you live east of Toulouse would you like to come and visit us one day (coffee and cakes included). 

What about the local children? You are going to be involved with the local community through school almost immediately so getting to know local kids will be better for your daughters and for you to meet the other parents. It dosn't do to mix with same nationality all the time,the french language needs to start coming through.

Hello,

Keep on looking. Unfortunately, we dont live very close to you.  I have a 5 year old who has both french and english friends and she enjoys them both.  I have found her English friends do my daughter the world of good and help boost her confidence.  As there is probably alot of change going on at the moment it is useful for your child to have an English friend or two - she then has something familiar.  Of course it is important for her to find french friends too, if she is interested in say dancing or something there are usually lots of things to do for children on Wednesdays - go to the Mairie or find out where the nearest Centre de Loisirs et Enfants are.  Or try and ask the mothers at the local school.

You could always try and find someone who works at Airbus and ask them to put up an notice on their board or Intranet site too.

Good Luck.

Deby

You didn't say which year your four year old was born. If she isn't attending maternelle, and was born in 1999 then I would strongly recommend that you insist that she is taken. I think if she would be five this year you could do that. Grand section maternelle is important, as most ecole maternelle prepare children for the Cours Preperatoire, which starts the September of the year (Jan to Dec) the child is 6 and is obligiotory schooling.

Even if she was only four this year, and isn't going, I would try and get her into maternelle.

[quote]Hello, Keep on looking. Unfortunately, we dont live very close to you. I have a 5 year old who has both french and english friends and she enjoys them both. I have found her English friends do my d...[/quote]

Hello Deby,

Thank you for your comments.  I will try the leisure centre and Airbus as well.

My daughter goes to the local school 4 times a week and she likes it there.  However the language barrier is sometimes an issue and she really wants her FRIEND.

Once again thank you.

Archived