Complete France Forum

Nearest international school to Caen.

DBUD

Later, you really would have to do your sums as to whether you would be able to afford a good international education for your children in France. Income tax isn't so bad here, however, it is all the other taxes in their many forms, especially for businesses that are hefty. And property in certain areas can be very expensive as can the local taxes.

25 in a class, that is good. My friend's kids are at maternelle and find themselves with over 30 in the class and it won't be any better in their primary school. They live in a very nice bourgois little town with no HLM's what so ever.

Later,so far we have nothing to criticise the french school system and feel no need to send our kids to private school,as for international schools in my opinion they are for the privileged few who want not only the best for there kids but want them to be better than anyone else.Although for a short term I can see it makes sense to keep kids in international schools especially if the parents need to keep moving due to work etc,but someone moving full time to france and putting their kids in such schools is hardly integrating and in time will bring resentment from the locals such as in the north of france.

They live in a very nice bourgois little town with no HLM's what so ever.

I am sorry, but I resent this comment! Through no fault of our own, WE live inan HLM and are surrounded by others who are in the same boat. We are not illegal immigrants, we don't go out mugging, we do not have wild parties...in fact we are every bit as respectable as the next person.

All three of my daughters have attended private school at one stage or another. That they no longer do is not a testament to us being poor and needy, but a reflection on the quality of teaching and supervision at their oh-so-wonderful private school (which wasn't). I'm sure there are good and bad places, like everywhere else and am not decrying the right of anybody to choose the education they feel suitable for the child/children.

Incidentally, bourgeois is the correct spelling.

And for those children with a french parent? Are you telling me that these children are not integrated into french life? Who doesn't want their child to do well and have the choice later on in life. Just because we've chosen France, it doesn't mean to say that our children will want to live here later on in life. For me it's all about having the choice. As a teacher in an International School my own children will receive free schooling; it's a perk of the job!!

If we were both English we would certainly be looking to put our child into a french school. As we're not, things are slightly different!!

And did correcting my spelling make you feel any better, you can if you want but you will be taking on a full time job and it all looks the same to me anyway.

And no HLM's, well that is the way it is, it still doesn't mean that they have the priviledge of smaller classes...... which was my point.

Sorry everyone,

BUT what is an HLM, I have looked but am either too thick or too tired to spot it?

Thanks, Jeremy.

NB this argument seems to be getting a bit heavy, I send my 5 boys to the French private school which I feel will give them the best, and I will go without if need be....

HLM  habitations à loyer modéré,   is the equivilant of council housing. It is means tested, so if you earn too much you cannot have one . And around here at least, are usually in great demand as they are often pretty decent places.

I grew up in a council house and really don't know what all the fuss is about.

Google.fr would have answered all your questions about this really.

EDIT: The vast majority of towns have what is usually classed as HLM's. As I keep saying the wages are often lousy here, so there should be decent affordable housing. Sometimes these housing, well usually appt projects are done by housing associations linked to the region. It really does depend. Our village has had three separate projects done over the last few years and these places were very much in demand. I have friends who live in them. And they were very pleased to get into them and out of the sometimes not very good lower end of the range private lets available around here.

What I did say was that the small town where my friend lives has not got any such thing. I don't know why, it is just like that, and a pretty unusual place really. But they still have not got small classes in their nursery school, never mind primary.

TU - seems I am a Guru too! Shall we compare robes and the headgear sometime?

HLM's - as stated are the equivelent of upper class council housing and the rents are not cheap, not here anyway. We live next to a lotissement and there is a good mixture of bungalows,2 & 3 bed houses and bungalows. You are absolutely NOT allowed to dump unwanted cars, create a nuisance or have dangerous dogs and we(the council that is) evicted a woman who had dangerous dogs let loose and terrorised her neighbours. Tenants are responsible for the upkeep of the gardens and hedges and the general appearance although they do get pressurewashed for free and anyone can be evicted if they break the rules. The 2-bed bungalow next to us with a small garden and garage, one main room and side kitchen is charged the equivalent of £250 per month in rent. Most of the tenants here are single parents, elderly couples and one family of five who were living in a house with earth floors for many years and one young married couple with a baby. As for means testing I'm not sure because the young couple both work full time,she a private nurse and he for a major road construction firm which means they could easily afford to buy.

That is only 381 euros a month. My son is paying over 300 euros a month for a tiny studio with a separate bathroom, a private let.  You would be paying twice that  around here at least for such a place. And the HLM's here are means tested and in great demand.

Interesting comparison. My girl pays 260€/month for a modern 30m² private studio in a private home with all utilties & heating and with a bathroom included and kitchen and outside parking in St.Brieuc. Her friend pays a bit more in Quimper for less space in a block.

Archived