Complete France Forum

French learning courses for children

JR1

Can anyone recommend any french courses for 2yr and 5yr old, is the BBC Muzzy course as good as it sounds, or are there others of a similar nature that are as good. Parents following the Michel Thomas course.

Joanna

A few friends have bought the Muzzy series and have been disappointed.  You might be better off, buying a few French speaking DVD's - animated childrens programmes in French. Consider buying interactive dvd's (games) in French too, there are several learning dvd's available.  The emphasis is not on language but on learning how to do something.  Children will buy into this more than learning vocabulary.
Deby

In my experience of being a mum of 3 and a language teacher with the added bonus of being French, living in England, we have never found suitable language learning materials of any sort to help us out when the children were pre-school. I have spent time designing our own materials then and was so busy living that i didnt realise that it was also a problem for English families trying to learn French.If you are living in GB at the moment try to find out about "L'Escargot", they run activity clubs everywhere in the UK under their Franchise and are very good for young children.If you live in London there is the Lycee Francais Cromwell road where they take children from 3to 18. About half the price of English Private school fees.You could look into getting children books and magazines through subscribtions some for that age range come with a story,tape or CD and could be a tool you could use. I will keep on thinking on the subject and hope to come back with more ideas.

Bought Muzzy set when my three were 2, 5, 7.  The older two were slightly taken by it but not too keen. My youngest really liked it and still does (now 5) often puts it on and watches it.  The older two not interested at all.  The CD-ROM which came with the set was slightly more successful, but again it is the youngest that uses it the most although older two do join in now and again.  We have on order a new Muzzy CD-ROM when we've had a chance to use it I'll put a post about it.

Another CD-ROM which they all like is Kidspeak French ISBN 1-50251-006-X.

Video - First Fun with French (Usborne) the younger two liked.

BBC has an interactive web-site which is ok but a bit slow at times.

Board games - aimed at young children learning French - have proved popular with us too.

Amazon are a good source for material.

It's really horses for courses - sometimes I think my youngest liked the material better because he was exposed to French younger than the other two - did French at nursery.

My two eldest have private French lessons at home through a tutor from Le Club Francais - they enjoy it and are making steady progress.

I personally think as many different resources as possible keep the language fun and interesting making them want to learn rather than doing so because I want them to.  I'm always on the look out for new ideas and sometimes make my own activities/work sheets up at home.

Muzzy for our children aged 11 & 9 has been a real disappointment. While they quite enjoyed the format and stories, they (and we adults) found the sound quality to be appalling. Muzzy is in fact understatement... We have the VHS version - maybe it's better on DVD.

Nick

Archived