Complete France Forum

Getting help with dyslexia and English studies - dept 79/85

ChezShells

My son spent two years with a local orphophoniste (speech therapist)doing a bilingue course of 40mins per week at a cost of about 140ff. This was about three years ago now and we were advised by his collège to seek help for mild dyslexia and french grammar where writing it down was concerned. You have to make a first meeting with the expert who will give you a letter for your doctor to write a special prescription for the orphophoniste to take your child on and for the medical insurance company to reimburse you. Payment was by Carte Vitale only in our case and my son benefitted greatly by these studies.

• 3 months later...
i have been living inthe tarn(81) for one year. my son is 14 years old and dyslixic. i have been told that they have nothing to offer him. the first school he went to said that they were unable to offer him any thing so he had to leave as we were not in their catchment.(he liked the school very much). he was refused at our local school because he is dyslexic 3 times.it was only when his previous school phoned and told them that they had to take him by law. he is very unhappy there .if i knew what i know now i would not have moved here.

I have taught in french primary schools.  In three of the schools which I taught they 'took on' children with dyslexia.  One school integrated the young boy in all areas, handled him with kid gloves as he was 'different.'  Another school put dyslexic children together with other children with 'difficulties' and had in fact a 'special' teacher to deal with all these 'special' children.  Finally the third school just didnt want the child there and thought he was a problem and were constantly moaning that he should be in a 'special' school.

Draw your own conclusions.

My conclusions are that the french system, schools, teachers, the system are just not ready to understand dyslexia.  They see it as an illness/afflication that has negative impacts on children thus it is a problem.  Dyslexia does not fit into the average 'one size fits all cap' of french education (sauf Grande Ecoles).

I have a friend who would like to bring their family to France her son probably appears somewhere on the autistic spectrum. My advice would be just dont!  If the French cannot cope with dyslexia they certainly wont be able to cope with anything else!

Deby

Archived