Complete France Forum

Home Education Again

Teamedup

I think regardless of what curriculum people choose to follow, Inspectors still visit. They are aware I am home educating because I wrote to the local education department to inform them and also the Maire out of courtesy. 

I am expected to teach my child French history and language and will be having an inspection at the start of the new school year.

I also have to keep records on what I'm teaching etc and if they are not happy with what they see, then home education stops!

I think regardless of what curriculum people choose to follow, Inspectors still visit. They are aware I am home educating because I wrote to the local education department to inform them and also the Maire out of courtesy

Courtesy, I hadn't thought that that was the way it worked? I actually believed it to be obligatory that one asked permission to home school in France for school age children and not just tell the authorities.

That wasn't what I was asking though.

I was wondering how the inspectors tested the children, say if, has been mentioned that the language they are learning in is Dutch which rightly or wrongly I imagine that the inspectors would be less likely to understand than say english, for example.   Although if french and french history are obligatory subjects then this would obviously help them test a child's knowledge.

I did know that if the inspectors are not satisfied that a child is being educated properly at home that not only can it be stopped but the parents prosecuted too eventually.

I didn't ask, I told as is my "right" over here as it is in the UK.

The Inspectors do not test my child but rather they test me, which is the way it should be!

I have to keep detailed records of what we have studied and how I have measured attainment etc. I have explain this to them in French and they have always ( so far) gone away happy.

I cannot comment about other nationalities or completely non French speaking families experiences. Clearly that would present a huge problem, and one which I do not think the authorities would over look.

However, for us, it is English curriculum subjects that are studied, in English. Moreover, the fact that only I am able to converse in French with the Inspectors at the present time, has never been an issue.

Archived