Complete France Forum

extra french lessons for english children

cary

After living here for 9 months now the school have decided to give my 11 year old (repeating a year in primaire) and 8 year old in CE1 extra french lessons to help them along.  The eldest was having 1 hour a week and the younger 2 hours.  Well our eldest came home today really chuffed with the fact that he didn't have to have her now as after her initial hour with him decided he was good enough with the language to not need her help.  Good hey, now she can spend extra time with our 8 year old who although seems to understand the french doesn't seem to speak it that much.  And our 4 year old is having half an hour extra french with her teacher in maternelle who speaks fluent english, as she also is reluctant to speak it!!  Well i was really pleased with him and for him as he is trying really hard to integrate with all the french kids (only 1 english in the eldests school) and his hard work has finally paid off.

hi, its lovely to hear that all your children are settling in well, its good that the school are committed to teaching extra french as well. I know a school in the next town to us does this as well with english students.

They'll be fluent in no time at all.

Emma pons

My kids didn't get any extra help at primaire but at collège,both did more french and didn't bother with the english which helped them no end as they were getting 19/20 every single lesson.It was a waste of their time sitting in a class of kids who were learning the english alphabet and beginners english whilst they pressed on with their verts and conjugation exercises. Even at Lycée my son went to private study inthe library rather than do english because the teacher said he couldn't teach him anything and had to ask him to help the class sometimes when no one understood. Never turn down extra french its so much more important than english if you live here. 

totally agree about not turning down extra french.  Ours are having extra at the mo for just the language and to speak as the younger 2 don't really speak conversation french.  It was the tutors decision not to teach our eldest extra as she said at the moment he doesn't need it and seems to be learning and progressing very well on his own, and she will be able to spend extra time with our middle child who is a bit un-confident to speak in front of the class.

Archived