Complete France Forum

Bac, BEP, Brevet Help?..

MargaretD

Just trying to work out what all these letters mean?  I'm trying to answer a question (for my french homework!) which asks me to comment on them.  Obviously it assumes that I'm French and have either done some of them, or had friends who had done others!

If there is a website that would explain it to me then I would be happy.

Thnk you for your help,

Margaret

My kids have done all these and basically the Brêvet comes first at 15/16 and at collège and I suppose is the milder equivalent of GCSE, exams taken in different subjects to gain a pass number of points. Most collège kids pass this exam. BAC stands for the Baccalauréat and is the top qualification at ordinary Lycée. This can take many forms depending on the subject and studies chosen and again exams in different subjects adding upto a number of pass points with the advantage of taking exterior exams elsewhere as well to add to the points value. BEP means Brevêt d'Etudes Professionelle and my son gained his last year and is now doing a BAC course in higher studies of the same subject. This is a lower form of the BAC with less academic subjects to study but again exams in different subjects and a pass points limit andn is usually for professional trades like electricians,mechanics etc and so on. My daughter is currently doing a BTS in her chosen studies which is equivalent to a british HNC and if she passes automatically qualifies her to be an airhostess if she so wishes to do,think not as she is already talking of going on again to get her hotelliers licence and three more years of hard slog at studying.

Archived