Complete France Forum

ikea france

Used for the last five years, we used to pick up a catalogue in September and compare prices against UK before purchase. I general website / check availability on like is good news and Bordeaux is much pleasenter than Croyden.

If you decide on a particular range it is still worth checking prices between UK and France/Belgium or even Germany.

We looked into delivery on the IKEA website, but the costs are pretty high, especially if you are far from a store and the order is of high value. We risked a day out to the Toulouse store the other day and once inside you may as well be in Croydon or any UK branch, the layout was identical! Quite busy but much less frantic than a visit to a UK branch at the beginning of January.

Jane

The van hire rates at IKEA Toulouse looked pretty reasonable compared to comparable hire firms, however delivery is a bit expensive but then most firms charge at least €15 for livraison.

The price comparison IKEA UK to IKEA France is surely dependent on the £/ € rate at the time, at the moment the € is very strong.  Also IKEA Toulouse has items like large kitchen tables that Nottingham did not stock.

IKEA Toulouse is BLISS compared to Croydon, it's true!  I don't know where I would be without them.  I did compare prices on a kitchen and it was cheaper to buy it in the UK, but then we were shipping other stuff over here anyway so the additional costs of shipping was negligible.  Then again, their freestanding  kitchen range was odd - the sink was a lot cheaper in France where as with the rest of the range the higher the "timber" content the more expensive it was. Never had to have anything delivered but then again I don't live too far from Toulouse.

What is (a?) Chav?

thank you, no, white tracksuits wouldn't stay white for long round here, must be an urban (suburban?) phenomenon...

[quote]The van hire rates at IKEA Toulouse looked pretty reasonable compared to comparable hire firms, however delivery is a bit expensive but then most firms charge at least €15 for livraison. The price co...[/quote]

We paid an extortionate amount for having some items of furniture delivered by Ikea! When they came, to our chagrin ,they would have easily fitted in the back of our estate car so have a look at the flat packs first, they may fit in your car!

The charges are based on distance/zones, as well as cost of purchase.

If your house is in the countryside I would strongly advise you provide a map with directions to your house. We had to go and fetch the delivery van from a town about 4k away.

When we got back here with him, he unloaded the items, around 100 separate packs. I counted them but there was no way he was hanging around to let me check each (numbered) item. individually. There were three items of mine missing, and items for 3 other people in their place. That took a fair amount of sorting out.

tresco

Many thanks everyone.  We were looking at using the Lille one as I think it is nearest to us(we are near Cherbourg).  We only have a normal sized car and need two double beds (theirs seem to be OK for my back!).  I will certainly give it a go but all the advice was very helpful.

cathy

[quote]To find out about Chavs, visit http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/06/chavscum/[/quote]

Thank you, that was simply dreadful.

I don't miss Croydon.

The first Mrs Conq was a Croydon girl so I can relate to all that. In fact Ikea Croydon about 10 years ago was where I experienced some quite frightening racism - before the insults started flying I hadn't even noticed I was the only person of non-West Indian ethnic orgiin at the checkout.

Thanks Dick for the links. Looking at the Argos furniture and the Chav Xmas lights all I can say is that chav culture is flourishing in France without anybody realising it.

[quote]To find out about Chavs, visit http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/06/chavscum/[/quote]

I went even further and "generated" the name of my "chav" baby girl.  Mercedes Lara!   Like the car, like the playstation game (once upon a time, anyway).  Name for a child?  I don't think so!!

Archived