Complete France Forum

School in Riberac area

al

Are there any parents out there who have experience of the primaires and college around Verteillac/Riberac.  I know this is a popular area for the Brits and wondered if this was an advantage or not for the children having more english children to mix with ( I know for me it would be beneficial)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

My daughter started primary school at 10 years old in a small village school near Verteillac six years ago. There were no other English speaking children and I think that was a big advantage for her. She did find it hard for the first few weeks, which is natural, but after that she never looked back.

She went on to secondary school at Mareuil, where she found a number of English speaking children. Most of these children had arrived in France after us and my daughter found herself, along with some others, having to translate for them on numerous occasions.

I think that having other  English speaking children around holds children back from learning and speaking French as they become quite dependant on the other English speaking children who are fluent and can end up in British groups in the playground, which does not help them learn French!

I would definitely recommend enrolling your children in a local school and would not recommend an international school. After all you will wish for your child to be able to integrate into the local community and the local school is by far the best way.

Also, most of the teachers have some command of the English language and will communicate with your child in English if and when they think it necessary.

My daughter also attended Riberac College then Lycee and has now enrolled at a school of hairdressing at Perigueux. She has mostly French friends, watches French TV and would not want to return to the UK to live as she loves her life here. She has been driving a scooter since she was 14 yrs old and is now learning to drive a car accompanied, which they can do from age 16.

Archived