Complete France Forum

Help!!! I am so confused which type of childcare to use for my one year old son!!!!!!

sam rubins thomas

Hi My husband and I are moving to Les Mayons, Var for 8 months in April next year and we are so confused as to which childcare option to go to-les creches familiales or les assistantes independantes? Does anybody know which way to go or could reccommend one in our area? I also dont understand la fepem and if there is any financial aid from the French government?

One more thing is that we would like to teach students (young and old) English conversation and wondered if anybody could direct us there too?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sam

Childcare in France is very local so it depends entirely what is on offer and how heavily subscribed it is, unles you are very lucky it wont be a choice it will be a case of taking up what is available.  Start at the mairie - they will have all the information you need in 'jeune enfance'.  A creche familliale is a number of assistant maternales (child minder) employed by the town hall and the amount you pay is determined by your income and number of children - I believe about 3 euros is the full hourly rate.  An AM independante is self employed and can set her own tarifs and you apply to the Caisse d'Allocations Familliale for an allowance, again based on your income and the age of the child.  The other option is the garderie, like UK nurseries, also run by the town hall and you pay at the same rate as the creche familliale, this however is generally only available while you are working (as is the creche familliale). 

There are also halte garderies that can be used on an ad-hoc basis, these are also run by the state but for non-working parents.  And if your child is 2 and a half, he may be able to start school - but again some places they have to be 3 years old

Re govt assistance, childcare is super cheap (which is why is so difficult to find a place) and at the end of the year you declare what you have paid on your tax return - and they credit with you 50%!!!

So, start with the mairie - they may have a waiting list of a year and nothing will be available, or you may have unlimited choice, good luck - and good luck with the paperwork!

Archived