Complete France Forum

Using English electric shower in France

We recently bought an electric shower in the UK to use in our new house in Brittany.  We immediately wired it up but every time we try to get even lukewarm water out of it it trips the electrics in the house.  The shower uses 8.5 kw.  The house has not been inhabited for ages (if at all) so the electicity supply is probably the lowest possible (3KVA?).  My question is really whether it is possible to up the electic supply tothe house be able to use this shower or should we just use a water boiler to heat the water for the shower/bathroom.  I have seen electric showers in France so I know it is a possibility but would welcome anyone else's experience with this issue.

Nicky.

I would arrange for EDF to up your power supply, a job that takes them usually a couple of minutes. By increasing your power supply will mean the standing charge for electricity will be increased by a small amount. If as you suggest you are on the lowest tariff of 3K the tripping problem will almost certainly occur when you add additional appliances.

Baz

Electric showers although uncommon are very rarely used in France. They are too powerful for most French supplies and can scale up easily, as well as not deliver the hot water at a suitable temperature without reducing flow.

You would be much better advised to fit a 75 litre or a 100 litre chaufe eau which will probably be rated at about 2KW, which will not only give you plenty of hot water for a sink and shower, but combined with night rate tarif and a thermostaic mixer shower valve, you won't be dissapointed with the flow. French supplies are all at mains pressure.

If you upgrade from 3KW to 9 KW you will be paying approximately another 100 euros a year extra in abonnement just to have the electric shower, which may not be suitable.

I would advise, depending on your other appliances, and occupation rates to upgrade maybe to 6 KW and do not use the electric shower.

Paul

Archived