Complete France Forum

You must see your notaire immediately on this matter as death in France is a very "official" matter and involves banks,notaires & the fisc. No one on this site is qualified to give you exact advice due to your own particular circumstances. My friend by the way,has just had to pay £17K equivalent of death tax here in France and that is on a main residence.

Sorry to hear of your loss.  I understand that if you have bought ‘en tontine’ then your transferred half of the house (at current value) will be liable to an inheritance tax.  Currently a 76000€ allowance is applied to this half and any excess will be taxed at 20%.

You have our sympathy.

However, what Val says is perfectly correct - you really must get proper advice from somebody qualified in French law, and particularly in inheritance/succession as well as capital gains. Scorpio is right to point out that there will be inheritance tax, what is payable depends on how many children either or both of you may have, and what provisions there were for a French will. Capital gains will be payable if you sell and if it was not your main home or you were not tax resident in France. How much depends on whether you have French, European or overseas residency or citizenship. There will also be a small amount of estate duties and legal fees to be allowed for.

As you will see, it can get very complicated - that's just a very vague overview and I'm sure other forum users will enlarge on the 'ifs and buts'.

Archived