Complete France Forum

HGV - PSV licenses

June

My husband is a coach driver, and we would like to know if the type of licence required to drive a coach in France is the same as in the UK, also he would be interested in getting his HGV licence, so can anyone help with the licence ruling in France.
Any help very-very much appreciated.

With something as important as getting the correct info, I would suggest you contact your local sous or main prefecture and speak to their vehicle/permis dept. I can't think of anywhere else you could get the correct info to date.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,
I currently work as the only British coach driver for a well established French coach company and took my PSV category D licence in the UK in December 2000, regularly travelling between France and Switzerland with no difficulties whatsoever.
Prior to that I worked for a French/British company in another region, that actively encouraged UK employees to take the UK test as it eliminated the need for new drivers to have a 50 km restriction for the first 12 months.
The only diferences I am aware of, between the UK and French licences, are this 'new drivers' restriction of 50km and also a FIMO. This is a basic mechanical course that all new and young drivers of large vehicles need to sit - not necessarily pass.

Tho other points to note are that if you exchange your British licence for a French one (which as we all know is another story altogether!) then you need to ensure an exception to this restriction is noted. Also, there is no category in France for 'midi' buses (less than 18 seats), it is either a full coach licence or not.

Finally, there is a new requirement starting this year for all employers to send their employees on a refresher course every three years - in French, so it goes without saying that to secure employment you need to have a resonable grasp of the local language.
Hope this is of help to you and all the best with your plans.
Cheers
Tracy

Archived