Complete France Forum

legal requirments when buying

Sam4136

Hi,

i am in the process of buying a second hand golf from a local garage, i live in dept 74

the car bears a local registration number dept 74

the garage owner said the car will keep the same reg number is this correct

he said that he will change the documents and has asked for the following

photo copy of my passport

photo copy of a utility bill (proof of address i suspect)

a cheque for 196 euro made payable regisseau des recettes

he said that once he has all this and our final payment we can have the car and the new carte gris will come back to him and we would be able to pick it up in 2-3 weeks

does all this make sense and are their any other things we need to do

one last thing how reliable are the local garages, do they clock cars here and what checks can be done to check the milage shown is crrect

Thank you in advance for any help

Sam Edwards

This is correct info.. the 2nd hand market is probably slightly better than in UK as there is more consumer protection. Even if you car is found to have a 'vice cache' (hidden problem) many months later you can still go back to the garage (or to court) and make a claim. Nevertheless , as with UK you will obviously have the dodgy trader that may disappear, go bankrupt etc, but most long term buisnesses should be OK.

A word of advice, make sure you have protection juridique included (or added) to your house insurance and make sure this includes buying/selling cars(which is usually slightly extra). For only a few tens of euros this will mean that if you do have a problem your insurance will follow through the case for you.

regs

Richard

Archived