Complete France Forum

driving documents

Dave

I have been told that it is necessary to carry driving documents (licence, insurance, log book) at all times when driving - even when popping out to the shops, but is it not sufficient to have them available to produce them at your local gendarmerie?
I drive a m/cycle & they're going to get very crumpled if I do have to carry them!

>I have been told that it
>is necessary to carry driving
>documents (licence, insurance, log book)
>at all times when driving
>- even when popping out
>to the shops, but is
>it not sufficient to have
>them available to produce them
>at your local gendarmerie?
>I drive a m/cycle & they're
>going to get very crumpled
>if I do have to
>carry them!

Yes it is necessary to carry the three items you mentioned as well as some form of ID at all times or you risk an on the spot fine of 90. It is often at the discretion of the gendarme and on one or two occasions we have just been "ticked off" instead of fined, athough this was in the early days when our cars were still on Uk plates and we were thought of as tourists, even though we lived here.

If you have French insurance, then you must also make sure that you have signed the green conterpart form of the insurance document as this is also penalty offence.

Best Regards,

Paul

Yes you must have them at all times with you. I don't believe in leaving them in a vehicle either because if you get burgled they just get thrown away and it is a great deal of aggro to get them replaced as you have to go through the gendarmerie first to get their paperwork sorted. I heard of a lady locally in town who had just come out to move her car further up the street and hence no papers on her and the police civile did her there and then on the spot and it wasn't cheap.

Not forgetting your identity card or passport, afaik.

Il y a un dlai de 48 heures pour prsenter ses papiers d'identit et son permis de conduire. Pour les papiers du vhicule : carte grise et assurance, il faut les avoir avec le vhicule pour prouver que ce n'est pas un vhicule vol.

Archived