Complete France Forum

Long term rental property

Hello to all, I'm new, only joined the ranks today. Can't find a slot for my post, so thought I'd start here, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Have our house on the market, fallen in love with the area around Perigueux, but before buying we wish to find a long term, reasonably priced property for a let of at least a year, maybe renewable.

How do we go about finding rentals, immobliers show properties for sale, but there seems to be a dearth of rentals.  Better half says it will be our duty to go to every village bar, have coffee & cognac and ask around.....surely there is a more sober way of doing things!

Thanks in anticipation

As Alexis says, local papers are good. Bigger agences immobiliers in towns will often have rental (location) property. Be aware that for unfurnished property you will almost certainly be expected to sign up for a three year agreement, though tenants can cancel it before the term is up.

Hi there,
Finding a long term rental in the Dordogne is not as easy as it seems because in fact, you don't have many agencies involve on the renting. Neither the Notaires, i'm afraid because they prefer to deal with houses to sold (they earn more money)! You should have a look on the local newspapers but it's really difficult indeed to find a place to rent when you aren't in the place and don't know about the local network... And if you manage to find a place, it will be a big mistake to tell the agent or the owner you want only stay here for a year! Because that means than in one year they will have again nobody in the house!! So, sign a 3 years contract, and then, send them a formal letter when you want to go after just several months. 

With kind regards

Sabine

www.en-toutes-saisons.com

We found paruvendu.com really useful in 74.  It lists both private and immoblier rents and gives an good overview of prices and what seems to be available.  We were looking from London and set up appointments for a particular long weekend and then flew over.  We viewed a mixture of private lets and ones through immobliers.  Also agree that there is no point saying you might only be there for a year - sign the standard contract and it does give you the freedom to leave. 

Good luck!

Have a look on the local newspaper "Sud Ouest".
Here is the website :
http://www.sudouest-immo.com/index.php?page=Default

Click on the map+location+select flat (=appartement) or house (=maison/villa)

Hope it will be helpfull! Feel free to ask me if you want me to phone the owner or go to have a look for the houses

Regards

Sabine
www.en-toutes-saisons.com

Archived