Complete France Forum

Volkswagen C of C

Le_Jars

Has anyone else tried to get a certificate of conformity from Volkswagen France?

On my form there is this :

Les lettres repers moteur sont composees obligatoirement de un, deux ou trois caracteres. Ces lettres sont frappees a froid sur le bloc moteur.

Which means there are 1, 2 or 3 letters stamped onto the engine (as far as I can make out!)

It then has a space for me to write the letters thus:

Lettres repers moteur *______*

Anyone any idea where they would be? My engine is a 2 litre beginning with the letters 'CJ', I'm wondering whether they mean that? The whole number is about 10 digits long after this.

Shall I chance it and write CJ?

I had the same problem with a VW golf convertible. In the end I found it stamped on the block. Once you see it you'll recognise it immediately for what it is. It was only 3 or 4 letters long when I actually found it and almost invisible. I think I found it by running my finger nail around on the block.

After all that they only gave me a partial certificate anyway and I had to go through the whole MINES process.

It's worth looking really, really hard before you give up. They don't make life easy on you. Before chancing random letters take it to a VW dealer and get him to tell you where it is.

I see from the photo it's a camper van. There must be a multitude of owner's clubs you could contact - forums too. There's a VW magazine based in Lège Cap-Feret and I know they are pretty helpful. You could always try giving them a call.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...