Complete France Forum

controle technic...controle money!

opas

We today visited our local garage with a need for the control technic.We asked a few questions about how the re test is charged for and what specifically will the test be looking for.  We were asked if we thought there was a problem for the car to pass,which we laughed and said it should pass except one back tyre which has signs of wear and plan to renew befor the test. The response then from the technician was that we would have to renew both rear tyres as they have to measure the same tread. Is this so? as the other rear tyre is fairly new is seems a little excessive to have to buy the pair(only just renewed both front) .I can see the point that the control is only every 2 years so the tyres will wear at the same rate.

If this is correct I can now understand why you see huge mounds of dumped tyres near garages .

The legal requirement is I believe to replace both tyres on the same axle. Which is why I bought a pair of second hand spare wheels. I don't have a problems with replacing both when they are near worn out with 30k on them. I do object when one was trashed by a nail in the side wall with 5k on it.

• 3 weeks later...
The Peugeot 306 HDI sailed CT through despite having unmatched rear tyres. Car currently is 4 years old / 118,000 miles tyres were unmatched because ' you cannot empty you wallet faster than a QF fitter' said pattern was out of production and with 250 miles to drive that morning I did not fancy waiting till Micheldever tyres opened.

In passing CT stations, unlike UK, are totally independant of garages, they have a poster of retest rates.

Archived