Complete France Forum

vignette

Nev

I've just seen a reminder notice in a shop window in Chef-Boutonne (dept 79) which appears to say that the last date for sale of vignettes for cars is 3rd December 2004, and a fee is payable to the departement. I have no idea what these are, can anyone help? I now notice that many cars have another sticker besides the insurance sticker, and these have CF or CT on them (sorry, I'm not sure which!), and a hole punched for the month and year. What's this all about then? I know that the road tax thingy has been abolished.

The notice definitely said "voiture". I think I'll have to go back and go in the shop and ask! I wonder if it's for 'not new' cars? I bought a new car, registered in July, and I'm sure I would have been told if there was something else I needed.

John, I should have thought of 'controle technique'. As my car is new I don't need one so I haven't done any research on this. Do you have to buy a vignette each year even though the test is every two years? Would this explain the  notice I saw do you think?

Can you reassure me that there's nothing else I need to display in my windscreen apart from the green insurance sticker?

Regards

Nev

Vignette is road tax and has, as you say, been abolished for cars.  The sticker for the CT is put on by the CT people.  You don't buy it.

Certain vehicules still have to pay for their vignettes but I don't know which.  Weren't we discussing 4x4's needing one?  Certainly pick-ups have to have one.....but take that with a pinch of salt as OH is NOT reliable......

I will look in the tabacs window today and see if there is anything about it up here.

Vignette also means car sticker for travel on motorways (autoroutes) in Switzerland.  Starts from 1Jan each year and valable for 1 year.  So if you wish to drive on any Swiss Mway you have to buy one of these. You can use the roads normally and freely, but it is a pain.  A good point to note is if you just want to drive to Geneva Airport from France with a foreign car and not use the Mway you can travel on a 'special' french D road into Switzerland (which in theory is still French), so you do not have to pay for the Vignette circa 30 Euros.

deby

Thanks TU, my first explanation was pretty ambiguous.

I really thought that the swiss vignette was just for the swiss autoroutes and not the ordinary roads. I can't remember seeing them flogging them if I have gone in via the ordinary frontier, where as at Frontenex? that is all they seem interested in.

Anyway original poster, you don't need one in France for an ordinary car. Although if you ask and they tell you what it was about, I'd be interested.

Archived