Complete France Forum

Car Tyres!

Mayennaise

Just buy yourself a tyre pressure gauge and foot pump from any big supermarket and check them yourself! Recommended pressures will be in the owner's handbook - shouldn't cost you more than €15!

M

Garages must need them!

I have a small purpose-built compressor which runs off the cigarette lighter and is a lot less work than a foot pump; I keep it in the boot. It is very easy to use and didn't seem very expensive when I got it, some years ago now.

[quote]Where do I check the pressure of my car tyres - I have yet to find a garge forecourt with the relevent machinery and my tyres are getting flatter and flatter!![/quote]

Many, if not all Supermarket garages have an station de gonfle (airline), as do many service areas on the Autoroutes.  The problem is that you have to know your tyre pressure in bars not lbs. not a problem if you have a French car. 

You are probably aware of the dangers of driving without the correct pressures, and so now it would seem are the French,

"Year-round surveys carried out by French motorway companies show that over 60% of vehicles drive with at least one tyre dangerously underinflated.  Blowouts originating in underinflated tyres are responsible for accidents causing 15 to 20 death and several hundred injuries every year"

Hey its not only the french that drive around on badly deflated tyres!

I recently hired a vehicle from a company that operates out of Stanstead. It was dark and quite late at night when picked up this car , so all the bumph wasn`t read and digested until a couple of days into rental period.

It said I should check water ,oil and tyres regularly, having just driven nearly 300 miles I thought i would do this ......front pressures were 18 !!! and back 22  !!, this was only a small car ,Corsa, but to say I was fuming is an understatement! I had driven from Stanstead to Manchester with other fairly long trips planned with 2 young children in the back( Ok ,so makes no difference if it was a solo driver)....on return to the depot and made issue on this, I was informed that I could top up pressures at any garage!!!

I have written and to date have had no response, just got my gaul again, will write another letter....to the head office this time.

Thank you all for you replies - we already have a foot pump which we currently use but I don't trust it!!. We also have a french car so the pressures are given in the correct language!. We will have to pluck up the courage and just ask the next time we fill up with juice, if we can't see the machinery.

thanks again

Mayennaise

Archived