Complete France Forum

Who needs to speak French ...

Iceni

... when mechanics have a universal language

Visited Formule 1 (no, not the plastic hotel chain)  with our C15 for an oil change & general check over with specific attention to 4 highly suspect and follically challenged tyres. Mechanic peered closely, sucked in air, tutted and slowly, sadly shook head at same time. Luckily (?) he had the last 4 Yugoslavian tyres at premier prix and I left 30 minutes later poorer but legal.

As with KwikFit buying the tyre is but part of the equation to which one adds valve, fitting, air and spit to check valve for leaking but if/when you need new tyres I recommend a visit.

John 

It doesn't help to speak French. Years ago on one of our first family holidays in France I decided to chance my arm. According to the AA booklet all I had to do was say 'Remplissez l'huile s'il vous plait'. So I did. Blank look, tried again, and a third time. Mechanic walked into the office and beckoned me in, pointed to a plastic bottle of oil and walked off. He never spoke once in the whole buying petrol/oil episode...

When I went they opened the bonnet and did that sharp intake of breath through their teeth so I knew they spoke English, well it's the same sound as the guy in Quick Fit made anyway before he tried to flog me a new exhaust to replace the one his mate had sold me 3 months previous.

When I lived in Germany, right near Daimler Benz and not too far away from BMW - I had this dare I say it English Metro - yep drove it all the way there.  After a short while things inevitably went wrong with it.  So I drove it to the nearest garage(s) -  Daimler Benz, next BMW, then Toyota.  None of the three could help me as every time they opened my bonnet they were confronted with this ugly looking engine with alternator, spark plugs etc (you know the old type!) they could'nt figure out what to do.  "Where is the chip, the brain  - the electronic management system!  They really didnt have a clue.  I was known for a while as Mrs Bean!  I did manage to drive it back though!

Deby

A couple of years ago my mother came over to visit and while she was there the Tail Box fell off the exhaust of her Vauxhall Astra. We visited 3 Exhaust places and they all looked in there books then shook there heads, try as I might they would not accept that it was only a ‘badged’ Opel Kadett and refused to fit the Opel unit. By the time she’d driven home she was almost stone deaf!

Moulin

A couple of years ago my mother came over to visit and while she was there the Tail Box fell off the exhaust of her Vauxhall Astra. We visited 3 Exhaust places and they all looked in there books then shook there heads, try as I might they would not accept that it was only a ‘badged’ Opel Kadett and refused to fit the Opel unit. By the time she’d driven home she was almost stone deaf!

Moulin

Archived