Complete France Forum

Car Valuations

Quillan

Does anyone know if you can get second hand values of cars on the web. English sites like Autotrader allow you to enter your basic car details and then comes up with trade buy price, garrage sale price and private sale price. This is the sort of thing I am looking for. If it does not exist is there an equivelent to say Parkers Guide that you can get from a news agent. Oh yes I am talking about in France, just in case anyone was confused.

Chris,

TU has it right.

At all the auctions here in France that I have been to, one will normally find that the car values in the Argus paper are pinned up somewhere in the hall, to give all those present a good idea of the value of any cars, they might be thinking of bidding on.

I like to look through the website now and again, just to get an idea on motor prices, including our own cars. You have to pay for certain car estimates or valuations though. About 3 euros or thereabouts.

Best buy the paper really.

http://www.argusauto.com/

[quote]Chris, TU has it right. At all the auctions here in France that I have been to, one will normally find that the car values in the Argus paper are pinned up somewhere in the hall, to give all those p...[/quote]

Miki

Auctions, that sounds interesting, three questions. How do you know where the actuions are and when? Is there any protection for the buyers in that if you get it home and it falls apart within 48 hrs do you have any comeback? Have you ever been 'had' at an auction i.e. what you bought was not what it seemed?

Chris

Chris,

Different auction houses may well have diifering regulations.

From my experience, nearly all of the places offer you a guarantee which depending on how much you are willing to pay, will give you varying degrees of warranty. My local one does this.

You can also be given points about the car on the windscreen. All the cars we have bought have had current full or almost full length CT's (many auction places have a CT station sur place as well) 

Search for Enchéres auto for your nearest car auctions, all the details will then be on offer.

We are pretty close and therefore our visits are to this new (ish) car auction near Rennes in Brittany. Take a look around this site, it is more comprehensive than it first looks, just click around a bit :

http://www.encheres-auto.com/

It would be a lie to say, that in around 35 years, I have never bought or been sold a pup and therefore auctions are no different. Remember you can go there the day before ( well you can for most sales) or early on the day and ask one of the attendants to open the bonnet and start the car. You cannot drive the car but in my experience, you can judge an awful lot about a car from the look and running of the engine and condition of the interior.

Then by taking out a warranty, you can at least sleep a little better knowing the Bentley has a warranty Chris !!

Archived