Complete France Forum

Carte Gris

Le_Jars

Forgive me for being thick, but the carte gris is for the vehicle, not the driver?

I am still going through the long process of trying to register my campervan here and I assume I'll need a carte gris for it (once it's passed it's CT)?

Is it a form of car tax then?

Dave.

Yes, in this context the carte grise is issued for the vehicle, not the person.

I suppose you could say it is a form of car tax. It's more like the UK registration document, but unlike in UK you have to pay for the carte grise, according to the fiscal rating (CV) of the vehicle.

This post made me look at my Carte Grise, and it is actually issued personally to me, very much like the V5 in the UK.  So I assume that if I sell it, the new owner would have to register the vehicle in their name.  So, on that basis,  it is not strictly for the vehicle only. 

You may not realise it Will but I believe that in the UK,  you now get a discount on road tax for cars less than 1100cc.

Yes Ron, the owner is certainly noted on the carte grise, just as on the UK registration document, but just to avoid confusing the original questioner any further it refers to (and is charged according to) the vehicle rather than the owner. If the owner changes, or the owner moves house, then the carte grise needs to be changed.

Didn't I see somewhere about a tax discount in UK for vehicles with lower emissions? Or is that just on company car benefits? Having had company vehicles in England, then French cars, I'm rather out of touch with UK arrangements.

Archived