Complete France Forum

Michelin Tyre Prices

Jon 1

[quote]I don't think you will find any make of tyre cheaper in France, the Uk is the best place to buy most car spares/Tyres etc.[/quote]

"The Uk is the best place to buy most car spares/Tyres etc" 

No offence Les , but if you live in the UK it probably is the best place to buy spares, but most of us on this forum actually live In France.  As we live in France, how can it be better to buy in the UK? 

It would cost the price of a tyre just to use the Autoroute one way and that's two tyres for a round trip,  let alone the fare and the time to get to the UK.

Tyres on offer, the popular sizes are actually cheaper in SW FRance than in the UK, but it depends on what exchange rate to use, on the old 10FF to a £ they are cheaper  

If you have a "Foreign french"  car ie a Left hand drive, the best place to buy spares is at your local garage, not only because some models, particularly diesels are exclusive to the continent, but because they don't stock a lot of spare parts for L/H drive cars in the UK

There is also a  sense of community in rural France unlike the UK and we prefer to use local garages and keep them in business, because when we need him for a tow or an urgent job he will still be there.

I's not always easy to make a comparison but here are a few items I have bought for myself or others in the last 12 months.

Michlin Syncro Tyres for 18" wheels on a Discovery TDI (Mk2) 168€ French Internet including free delivery as I bought 5 (plus 14 € fitting in local garage), 239 € including fitting at all the garages between Quillan and Carcassone (price fixing or what), £253 from Kwik Fit in UK.

New headlights for same car 69€ (+ TVA) each in France from main dealer including lightbulb. £193 in UK from dealer in Canterbury.

Toyota Landcruiser master cyclinder 182€ from dealer in Carcassonne 230€ from UK main dealer plus shipping.

Oil for LR TDI Engine 63€ in France, don't know what it costs in the UK but I am told it's special because it last for 20,000 miles but it's something that I can't say if it is true or not.

If you live down my neck of the woods then a trip to Andora is good for tyres, they are much cheaper there.

[quote]I agree with your reply Derf but, like most replies on this "forum", it seems to get the plonkers out of the woodwork, to make a "whizzing" contest out of a simple question.[/quote]

Another useful post from one of the caber throwers who infest this forum. and contribute nothing.

Reply to what?  The question was...... I'll type it slowly so that you can read it slowly ......  Are michelin tyres (perceived to be a French  make), cheaper in France?  and the really helpful answer fronm DEAF for those LIVING in France on a LIVING in France forum  was "buy your car spares in the UK" 

So that it as you agree with ?

So if you live in France, you spend a couple of days and £100+  to buy what , if you actually bothered to read the posts from those who make a positive contribution,  ARE cheaper in France.

[quote]Another useful post from one of the caber throwers who infest this forum. and contribute nothing. Reply to what? The question was...... I'll type it slowly so that you can read it slowly ...... Ar...[/quote]

No they are not cheaper here, on the whole, then the UK. The only car components that are cheaper are the odd spares and oil but there again, it all depends on the make etc.

I also would have thought that it was  useful advice to buy in the UK if that is where the price is cheaper. I ship a car back to Italy to have a service because it's cheaper then France but that is my choice.

Sorry. Have to go. My "caber" is getting aroused. So will have to go and "squeeze some toothpaste".

Ahhhhh. Such relief. 

Archived