Complete France Forum

Asbestos in floor tiles

The asbestos report on our house indicates traces of asbestos in the vinyl floor tiles used in the lounge. I suspect these were laid in the 70s but they are, apart from being a little grubby with old varnish, in good sound condition. I am reluctant to disturb them by lifting them and wondered if anybody knew if it was possible/safe to ceramic floor tile over them?

Having said that the report also indicated 'traces' of woodworm in the grenier and when I went up there my foot went straight through the oak floorboards. We were able to negotiate a E2000 reduction in the asking price and it cost me E4000 to have the entire place treated. C'est la vie.

The usual advice with asbestos is to leave it alone, no scaping the varnish or anything like that, and cover it up. So it sounds to me that what you are proposing is a good idea. Hopefully the surface is sound although I am not sure how well your tiles will stick to varnish. Tiling new ceramic tiles on old ceramic tiles is quite usual, so I suspect they will stick very well.

Liz (29)

hi

funny when we bought ours it said asbestos in the garage roof thought its only the garage just a few sheets it`s only a leanto and small ,when we went out to sign the acte de vente thought take another look before we sign the roof was corrigated tin sheet , wonder if it was his monday morning survey

dave

Archived