Complete France Forum

Diesel

Mayennaise

Surprised by the comment that red diesel harms engines - if true there must be millions of tractors, combines, bulldozers etc in imminent danger.

The prob with using it in yr road vehicle is that some of the stain remains even after you have refilled with legal and more expensive white diesel.

John

not

[quote]I've never seen it here but you could see little customs vans in the UK dipping tanks and testing diesel engined vehicles on the roadside, probably they still do it? Anyway, a big fine if it was red![/quote]

Unfortunately they do "dip" the tanks over here.

Ah something I know about.

'Red' diesel does not have the same tax on it as 'normal' diesel. I don't know about prices here but when normal diesel was around 75p at the pump we paid around 28p for our narrow boat (per litre), OK that was 5 years ago.

The dye is not just a dye it has another chemical in it that even a catalytic converter can't get rid of even after running several tanks of normal diesel through the engine. Also ordinary diesel has a dye in it as well with a different chemical marker. The reason for this is many a farmer has used the old fill a 5 gallon drum with sand a filter out the red. This works very well and even get rids of the marker so no marker and the Customs man knows whats going on.

The EU have been trying for years to get rid of red diesel for boat use in the UK as they are the only county that permits the use of it in boats. In France you have two tanks on the boat, one for ordinary diesel for the engine and another for red that runs the heating. Incidently unlike the UK you have to have a 'brown water' holding tank in France, you can't dump it straight in the cut like you do in the UK.

Other than the dye and the marker there is no difference what so ever and it cause absolutly no damage to the engine. Bit like the old myth about using petrol from light aircraft in a car, it does work but it's lead free which of course all petrol is now and does not damage the engine.

"Other than the dye and the marker there is no difference what so ever and it cause absolutely no damage to the engine. Bit like the old myth about using petrol from light aircraft in a car, it does work but it's lead free which of course all petrol is now and does not damage the engine."

I use to use Light Aviation fuel in a Range Rover and it seemed to run better....or perhaps it was because it was cheaper!

There use to be and more then likely still is, a certain element in the haulage profession...that would hirer tractor units....then run them on Kerosene with a tractor oil ratio added...then hand them back when the engines started to "play-up"...ah...Happy Days

"I use to use Light Aviation fuel in a Range Rover and it seemed to run better....or perhaps it was because it was cheaper!"

It was cheaper, but it does have a higher octane, around 99 if memory serves me right and there are no other additives.

They use to call the red stuff 'rasbery' if memory serves me right. To be honest they were all 'at it' to some degree. A mate of mine said their company at one stage ran all their tipper lorries on the stuff. When the lorries went on strike over the price of diesel it was said that they climbed down because the government said they would put all the customs men out to dip and test tanks for red. How true that is is of course pure speculation.

[quote]"I use to use Light Aviation fuel in a Range Rover and it seemed to run better....or perhaps it was because it was cheaper!" It was cheaper, but it does have a higher octane, around 99 if memory ser...[/quote]

I think we had better plead the "5th" Chris.

My heating oil is definately red and was delivered with a leaflet showing pictures of a boiler, tractor, bulldozer etc and a warning not to use it in a road vehicle. This was apparently a new type of oil for my distributor which now has an anti freezing addititve to -21c instead of -4c before.

Archived