Complete France Forum

hi there,

my family and i are hopefully moving to the vendee region in about august this year. the problem i have is that i have a private reg plate on my car and i need to know if i can keep it after registering the car in france?

many thanks and regards

adam. 

'Fraid not. Your car will have a number plate which indicates which dept you live in. We simply don't have personal number plates here.

In the future we will keep the numbers that are issued, or so it has been said. But I still don't think that we will be able to chose.

I have seen a couple of Porches running 911 and 928 as the leading digits. There is also one local Peugeot 306, which seems to have escaped from Max Power which has 306 as the first few digits.  I guess you need to have friends in the Departmental Office to slip you into the queue at the right point. Numbers are issued sequntially with the first and second letters changing every 10000 cars. 5115 TN 87 will be followed by 5116 TN 87 and 9999 TN 87 by 1 TO 87 I believe.

AR, Sounds like there is a little magouille  going on if people are getting such numbers.

The only time I can remember the letters not following on was one particular dept that suffered severely under the nazi's and they didn't have to have the SS on their number plates. Didn't blame them for kicking up about that.

TU said ".....Sounds like there is a little magouille going on if people are getting such numbers..."

That word "Magouille" bought back memories about Provence, TU. I have never known a region where it is so rife, it seemed that all the hotels had a litle fiddle going on with the staff, as well as bakers, butchers, plumbers , sparkies etc, they were all in to their little "touchies" and that was how life seemed to go on.

Nothing too serious, a few toilet rolls for a couple of baguettes, some sausages for some soap, a bedroom for................ and so on. Every time I asked a mate; where can I get something from, a tap on the side of his nose and an hour or two later and as if by magic, there it was !!

Good word for the beginner eh

LOL Miki, yes, I suppose, only I wouldn't suggest that any debutant used it.

What offence it could cause, a person could get into a lot of bother using such a term willynilly.

Let's face it a lot of France works on ........ piston and magouille.

[quote]"...Let's face it a lot of France works on ........ piston and magouille.."It certainly does TU and nowhere more, than down south ![/quote]

Hmmm

And I wouldn't disagree with that !

And that includes the Mairie & Gendarmes !

Peter

Archived