Complete France Forum

advice please on driving licence

Downunder

[quote]I found this an interesting debate, so I emailed the DVLA and asked them direct about living in France with a UK licence; here is their reply"I regret that we are unable to issue a GB licence showing ...[/quote]

Doubting Thomas's should make a note of this reply in their diary

[quote]I have been following this topic with interest and read the various expert views. Its alright for you youngsters but I will throw the other items into the arena: I have one of those old green paper ...[/quote]

Ian,

Given the first line of the DVLA reply I'd say you're stuffed!

Regards

Simon

[quote]I have been following this topic with interest and read the various expert views. Its alright for you youngsters but I will throw the other items into the arena: I have one of those old green paper ...[/quote]

If you have one of the very old green paper licences it is more difficult to change it in France, however it is still legal, if you now are resident in France, i would try and find a way to use an address in the UK so that you can change it for the latest version which would have to include the photo card licence as well. If it is the paper green/pink european model licence then you don't have a problem.

The "70 UK"  on the French licence has been discussed on here before and it just a code and doesn't mean you can't drive in the UK after the age of 70, so before you reach that age you can swop your UK licence for a French one, in your case if you are getting close to that milestone as your post suggests, i would change it as soon as possible under the current legislation, things may change in the future regarding health checks etc. 

Here's my tuppenceworth as I haven't heard it mentioned yet.

You don't actually need a domicillatory address on a UK licence. Years ago when I was still at school I had a part time job in a petrol station and one day one of the "travellers" who were encamped a mile or so away came in to borrow a can of petrol. I took his licence as security and I've always remembered that the address on it was c/o Johnstone Post Office.

After checking with some "new age traveller" contacts I have found that this still applies so it would appear that going NFA is an option for keeping a UK licence without  a UK address. 

Is it a case of 'swapping' the UK licence for a French one, or is it possible to have both?

I ask, because my husband has been told to go to the prefecture and get a French licence so that points can be taken, but we are planning on returning to the UK to live.  I take it from all the other posts, it's necessary for him to change, but does anyone know how that will effect us if we then return with a French licence?

[quote]Is it a case of 'swapping' the UK licence for a French one, or is it possible to have both? I ask, because my husband has been told to go to the prefecture and get a French licence so that points can...[/quote]

The easy answer is yes! if you have access to an address in the UK write to  DVLC and ask for a duplicate, maybe you could have lost the original (it could be free if it's just a change of address)It's possible that If I was if pressed i may have to admit that I have two myself, now whether it's legal or not, i would rather not get into that one. 

Archived