Complete France Forum

GILET DE SECURITE SUPER REFLECHISSANT JAUNE

Miki

Further to someone posting earlier this year to say that someone they knew was fined for not having the fluorescent yellow jacket(s)in the car.

I was in our local Gamm Vert yesterday whilst two gendarmes were getting some geraniums (well the van is a pretty useful free transporter for such things) I noticed they had a couple of the yellow "glo" jackets in the van and so asked them why ?

Well the first one said, it is mainly for their safety on the dual carriageways, motor ways as well as on the ordinary roads. I remembered that posting and asked whether it was the law here, they both said "No it is not" (so whoever got done should get their money back , if it did happen that is)I said I had not heard about it, so thought not.

But at that point he pulled out a poster, there lo and behold was a picture, on which it was showing kids and parents all with the yellow "glo" jackets on. Under the picture it said that, as from sometime in July (and I missed the date)it would be the law here to carry jackets sufficient for the number of pasengers. I asked whether or not you had to have 5 jackets in a car if only 2 people were normally in the car and he said no, just each person in the car should have one.

So in other words, if you go out with friends, you had better make sure you all have jackets !! The jackets were in a shop I was in the other day, not the top fashion double breasted type but for 3€ not bank breaking I guess.

I wait to hear or read when this law is coming in to being here in France. I know I saw the poster with the police but I still want to read it......

Presume then that all UK visitors on holiday to France will have to bring them with them as well or are they going to be exempt, something I think not if the populus have to wear them. This will be interesting to see what happens about it. Still money spent may save lives especially on dark country roads where there are no houses and street lights.

The wife was telling me that on her return from Portsmouth to Le Havre last week there were a couple of notices in the newish shop about the need for spare lights, triangles, first aid kit and fire extiguisher, plus also about wearing a fluorescent yellow jacket when out of the car and on the roadside.

If indeed it is to be a law in July, I suppose it will take some "bedding in" just like carrying a triangle, spare lights etc etc. It won't take long to filter back to the British mpotorists, a few fines and those with car rescue assocaitions (AA, RAC ect) will be pre warned about foreign travel I guess plus the papers will always write a bit about something like this.

I cannot see "foreigners" being exempt, can you ?

Archived