Complete France Forum

Bonus/Malus changes...

Crevette

In the time between "having an insurance quote" and "deciding to go for it", our car was damaged by someone whilst in was parked, and it had to be repaired (and we paid a franchise). It was recognised as zero responsibility on our part.

Before accepting the new insurance quote we raised this, and it seems that changes are taking place to the Bonus/Malus system to bring it in line with European Regulations which means we will pay a higher premium as a result (about 5% more).

He explained it as follows ;

2 people have been with the insurance company for the same five years and pay the same insurance payment.

One has had 20 claims in the five year (but all the fault of other parties) the other has not made a claim in this time.

Under the current regulations, they would pay the same insurance payments.

Under the new regulations, the one with more accidents pays more insurance payments than the other (even if they were not his fault).

Therefore, if your car is damaged and it's not your fault - even if you are lucky the other parties insurance pays for it - you can expect to pay a higher premium when it it renewed.

All "sinistres" are held on record for three years in seems (not sure if at the end of this period the premiums revert to what is normal for your bonus/malus).

Anyway, as a result of this I keep my car in a secure parking which is less likely to get damaged compared to street parking. I will also certainly think twice about getting my car repaired with the insurance the next time! (you will have the franchise PLUS a higher premium to pay).

Regards,

-Rob-

Archived