Complete France Forum

proceedure for selling a French car?

Mutiara

Hi,

Does anyone know what I need to do (or give to) the buyer of my French registered car, which has been sold.

The CT is valid but older than six months. I cannot renew it because the car needs work to fix the brakes. He intends to get it back on the road, so it is NOT being scrapped. Do I just cut of the corner of the carte grise and give him a receipt, or is there more to it than that? Anyadvice please so that he can buy it legally, and so I don't get any  visits from the gendarmes

M

Sorry can't help - everything I have read on this subject insists that a car must have a CT no more than 6 months old unless it does not need one because of youth.

Beware that the buyer does not have recourse for your knowingly selling him an unroadworthy vehicle.

John

not

[quote]Sorry can't help - everything I have read on this subject insists that a car must have a CT no more than 6 months old unless it does not need one because of youth. Beware that the buyer does not have...[/quote]

The lack of a CT under 6 months old will prevent the new owner from registering the vehicle, it will not prevent you from selling it. Assuming you have a buyer, you are quite entitled to sell "sold as seen" and the brakes will not be a problem. You (as always) could have a problem with "vice cache", but, by no means are you always responsible for their correction. If the car only has faulty brakes & the purchaser is willing to fix them, then re-CT the car, then what's the problem?

[quote]The lack of a CT under 6 months old will prevent the new owner from registering the vehicle, it will not prevent you from selling it. Assuming you have a buyer, you are quite entitled to sell "sold as...[/quote]

John, that can't be so . Many cars like mine must be sold every day that need repairing, without a CT!!!

Nick, you have confirmed that what I thought. The buyer know's the car needs fixing, thats why he 's only paying 150 euros for it!!! It's up to him to get it fixed and then get himself a CT to register it.

My query was really, what is the legal proceedure for the transference of the vehicle to the new owner, without a CT. For example what do I need to do paperwork wise, what happens to the carte grise. Do I have to issue a sales invoice? What if he has an accident whilst driving it (the registration will come back to me no doubt, until he registers it??) he intends to try and fix it on the spot.

M

Archived