Complete France Forum

French law regarding car tyres ?

lee17

I am still looking to relocate to France and expect to make serveral househunting trips taking my car.

I had my Peugeot serviced and MOT'd just before a recent trip to France. I was surprised when informed by a French motorist at a petrol station that my front tyres were illegal. They were of different treads/makes. Does anyone know the law regarding tyres in France?

Is there a way to find out what the legal requirements are for the equivalent of our MOT in France.

Many thanks in anticipation

Regards
Lee

Although my Peugeot 306 passed it's CT with different Front Tyres. The Gendarmes with whom I passed the time of day while waiting for the breath test to work (11:30mam ) said they should be the same manufactururer and design.

Other people who have posted in the site have said they had to but tyres in pairs

Many thanks for your reply.  I'll have to check if I can make any pairs from the selection currently on the car.  Is it just the front pair that have to match?   Or is it front matching pair and back matching pair not necessarily the same back and front.  Also leaves problems with regard to the spare too!

http://www.michelin.fr/fr/auto/auto_cons_bib_com_cho_pne.jsp

On each axel both tyres must be pretty much identical. Between the two axels the tyres must be of the same structure but can differ in make, manufacturer etc. Spare tyre, doesn't matter.

[quote]"Spare tyre, doesn't matter." But as in our case when if you need to use the spare it becomes illegal as it doesnt match the others[/quote]

Not quite correct, you can fit a spare tyre of a different type, as a long as it's only a temporary measure and it is used with a lower speed limit than normal, ( most of the Modern small spare wheels would be illegal to fit otherwise) if you buy the "Code de la Route" it tells you all you need to know about the regulations.

Archived