Complete France Forum

RE: Postboxes?

As far as I know you should buy an "official" box (outlets as other replies) and not try and make your own or use one from the UK. Posties have master keys so they can deposit anything too large for the opening.

[quote]As far as I know you should buy an "official" box (outlets as other replies) and not try and make your own or use one from the UK. Posties have master keys so they can deposit anything too large for t...[/quote]

That would explain why when I spent the best part of an hour going through a box of old keys looking for both the post box keys I discovered I only had the key for the back of the box and not the front ! I though The last owner had lost the front one   I did wonder why there were different locks !!!

You learn something new every day !

Paul

[quote]That would explain why when I spent the best part of an hour going through a box of old keys looking for both the post box keys I discovered I only had the key for the back of the box and not the fron...[/quote]

Hi, you still get your own set of front keys with the box as well as the back keys- it's a special Masterkey that the Postie has

Ahh, so he Did lose the key !

Not too concerned - Most of the real post comes to the UK address anyway, if anyone has the old key and wants free offer fliers for Leclerc or the Local Parish Newsletter they can have them !

Paul

Actually re: re-direction

We were told that the local PO will re-direct mail for free.

In truth the local PO has twice accepted my request.

BUT

nothing gets re-directed and occasionally the postie tours our prop looking for a non-existent post box.

I would appreciate the correct form of words to 'make it happen'.

John

EDF, the Immobilier, the notaire and the bank have all been happy to have a correspondence address as a foreign address so we recieve most of the important stuff at home in the UK - unless it's for something specific you may not need a PO box..

Just an Idea - When I lived in Australia the post offices did a service where you could have mail send "care of" the post office of your choice, I think the gag was that you had to collect it in less than 2 months, anyone know if they do that in France ?

Paul

Archived