Complete France Forum

Re-registering Honda F6C in France

Dog

I bought my Honda F6C in the UK from an authorised Honda dealer.

I ring Honda Europe who say its impossible to French register the F6C (or Valkyrie) as it was never imported to France - strange me thinks as I have seen 4 French registered ones locally.

I still applied to Honda Europe for a Certificate of Conformity they sent me a long form to fill in with all the reference numbers on the exhaust, plug caps, indicators, spark plugs? etc etc

They also ask for the UK Certificate of Conformity so I ring Honda GB - they say no UK registered Hondas pre 2000 can have a Certificate of Conformity.

I explain that the VIN number shows it to be for the European market. Still no help.

So I rang Honda USA where the bike was made - Sorry Sir yours is not a USA model we cannot help you.

My Question is do the French have the equivalent test that the UK does to register non compliant vehicles?

Also where can I find exactly what the bike has to conform to as there cannot be much difference between motorcycles made for different markets.

Shoulda got a V Max mate. Yamaha are far more helpfull than Honda.

Anyway the term you are looking for is Reception de Tire Isolée which is much the same as single vehicle type approval in the UK. This will require a full DRIRE inspection where they will want to check even the E numbers on stuff such as the plug caps and indicator lenses. If some components are not to the required standard but deemed to be unimportant by the inspector (a big if and but) they can actually issue a "derogation" on them and the vehicle can still pass.

Problem is not all DRIRE staff actually know about RTI never mind the powers of derogation and of those that do many just can't be bothered. You don't have to go to your local DRIRE so you may find yourself doing a tour to find an inspector who is actually interested. Haven't found it yet but I am sure there will be an unnoficial list somewhere with details of the tame DRIRE offices and inspectors.

The best thing would be to buttonhole the next French Valkyrie rider you see. All French reg'd bikes are supposed to be restricted to 100hp max and if these bikes are legal then there must be a restriction kit available (which you can junk afterwards like everyone else). The restriction will certainly be required by DRIRE along with a dyno report and even then they might go on about the difference between power at the back wheel and at the crank like they are doing with my Fudge right now.

Expect an interesting time.

I could have bought a Vmax but I wanted to go around bends..

Thanks for your advise on the French equivalent of SVA I will do some sniffing about.

Luckily the Valk is 100bhp makes up for it with 98ft lbs of torque.

If I cannot get it registered I'll have to buy the Rocket III.

Archived