Complete France Forum

motor repairs - spare parts

Patf

I won't go into the long tale of woe, but we are having to pay for a new engine in our Renault Laguna. The poor car has been in pieces in the local Renault dealers for 4 weeks and no engine! Today I went in to enquire and the manageress did her best on the phone with the suppliers. What surprised me was that she kept emphasising " les clients anglais". Felt a bit awkward about this. Can anyone suggest why she did it? I was quite polite and didn't make a big fuss. Pat.

Pat

Depends on how good your French is or if you spoke French at the garage, It could be that she was pointing out that you were English and she wanted a simple explanation as to why your car was not ready that would not tax her english or your French, but more likely that the English are not used to waiting a long time for things like the French seem to tolerate.  I went to get some tyres the other Wednesday and was told to make an appointment for NEXT WEEK, same for a haircut!!!

Thanks to both. Yes everything was said in French as none of the locals speak english, apart fom our vet. I think it was as you suggest Ron that the english aren't used to waiting for supplies etc. No wonder the french economy is in such a mess. She rang me in the afternoon to say the engine won't be available until September! Meanwhile they will lend us a car which is good. I think she said she would charge it to the supplier, will confirm face to face on Monday. Pat.

By then we will have been waiting 3 months. I asked Mme. Du... what she was saying about les anglais and you were right Anton. She said she had made up a story about we were stuck in France without a car and needed to go back to uk. Unbelievable about shortage of spare parts though - and this is a main dealer for Renault. Pat.

When I was young and slim and fast I financed an expensive motor racing habit by servicing cars and dealing in cars. We used to buy parts from a company called 'Midnight Motors' in Wembley who were open till the small hours. 

If the Renualt Garage deal in cars they should have some stuff in their yard which will be prepared to sell to you for a couple of months and buy back afterwards. Failing that I bought a 20 year old BX for Euros 450 from local Citreon dealer last month. Starts on the button, no Flintstone problems no Kojak Tyres , and is keeping friends from down under mobile.  

Archived