Complete France Forum

Personal Number Plates

Not as UK.

At present cars are registered on a department basis, issued sequentially based on date of registration with no hint of original month/year in a format similar to

nnnn aa nn (dept)

The nearest to "personal" being just 2 or 3 digits in the first group.

If you need to keep your PEN15 or FU2 suggest that you retain registration in Uk or wherever.

John

not

Hello I'm confused I was told that after three months I had to transfer my number plate.

My plate is so special to my family, we lost our  twenty year old Daughter two years ago and she would loved her own number plate, So I am driving with her name BEV on my car,

I have been told that there is no way I can keep it I am now very confused. We plan to move to france in a few months. and I wish to know where I stand.

Thanks

The only way you can keep it is ny not registering your car in France. Some folks I know with a personalised number plate have been here for years and not bothered. Don't think they've bothered to fill in tax returns either, but...there you go. You may get away with it. Or maybe, do like some friends of ours, they've hung their old number plate on a wall.

While I have a lot sympathy for your plight, how are you going to "register" a UK registered car and insure it with a French address? 

Very few firms in the UK will insure you for permanent use in France, and most French companies now only insure UK reg cars on the assumption that they will be registered ASAP in France.  Technically if you are a resident In France you have to export your car and register it in France ASAP and within 6 months, on French plates, some choose to ignore this.  You could a) give the plate to another family member to preserve it b) stay in France for less than 183 days or c) transfer ownership to an UK based person and use your car as on holiday, but again you may find insurance difficult or if you do find cover they may refuse to pay out if you make a claim as the car was not being used legally in France.  There is I am afraid no legal option that I can think of that will allow you to use your BEV plate in France

That's not the point though Fay, it is actually illegal to continue to drive a UK registered car in France after 3 months, if permanently living here.  Many people do just that, but that doesn't make it right or legal.  And saying that you're taking the car back to the UK to tax, insure, MOT it, doesn't make it legal either.  I sympathise that you want to keep your registration plate, and probably for the best reason that I can think of, however, the idea of hanging it on the wall really is the only legal alternative.

[quote]Hello I'm confused I was told that after three months I had to transfer my number plate. My plate is so special to my family, we lost our twenty year old Daughter two years ago and she would loved h...[/quote]

Sorry to come in a bit late on your problem.

As your number plate is so precious to you, could you not transfer the number to another family members car. At least that way it would not seem like giving away a memory.

I have never done it but I believe the transfer process is simple to do.

weedon

Moderators Hat ON.

I have deleted a post from this section which personally I feel and could also see was deeply offensive to another author. In doing so I have also delete those posts below it that joined in the general condemnation of the deleted post as they no longer made any sense. Hope you all understand that.

I have also deleted the posts about RHD cars which I would encourage to be expanded on but not in this particular thread. Please feel free to start another seperate thread on this issue. I have also edited two posts to take out a reference to RHD cars and to a comment pasted over the now deleted post. I appologise to those authors who's posts I have deleted or editied. I didn't send you all PM's as I would be here all evening.

To Fay I can only say on behalf of my self and fellow moderators (and the bulk of fellow forum members) that I am vey sorry for comments made and for any hurt it may of caused you. I can assure you that this is not the normal way people behave on this forum and should you have any further problems please do not hesitate to contact one of the moderators.

I had to delete Miki's post because it had a quote from a post that no longer exists. I have therefore copied his post below and removed the comments at the begining about said deleted post. Sorry Miki.

"Not sure that some people understand but it is possible to get a "personalised" plate here if you know who to approach. It can only be the set of 3 letters as mentioned previously by Val.

What folks want to do with their money is 100% their choice and in this matter, what better reason to want to keep the plates. Sadly it will be legally required to change the plates if you become resident but let's be honest here, many folks don't ever reimmatriculate but do be careful, a nasty accident could well leave you uninsured if you are with a French insurance company for longer than 3 months( well documented previously)

Miki"

Why not put the plate "on retention" at Swansea. It does not cost much and then you've still got the number to use if you ever go back.

BTW  Got to disagree with Miki 's "What folks want to do with their money is 100% their choice "

[quote]Why not put the plate "on retention" at Swansea. It does not cost much and then you've still got the number to use if you ever go back. BTW Got to disagree with Miki 's " What folks want to do with...[/quote]

Well..................carry on, in what way?

More like the latter though I'm thinking more along the lines of things like automatic firearms. second hand kidneys and slaves - all available if you've got the money and know where to look and even weapons grade plutonium comes on the market occaisionally.

On a more mundane level alchohol is something I'd like to see many people I have known rendered incapable of buying.

As far as I can see it, the only problem may be with their conscience on what they buy but it's still their own choice isn't it ? Some things may be morally wrong sure, even illegal, but all things being equal and the person is law abiding and wishes to spend it how they want, then...............I was perhaps too general but the goalposts got moved in to the fantasy zone somewhat !!

Archived