Complete France Forum

Importing From UK

Anton Redman

I have no problems with safety issues of driving RHD in France neither of the two accidents I have had in the last 1,100,000 miles would have been prevented or were caused by having the steering wheel on the other side of the car. Allowing for the propensity for French drivers of my age to resurrect 'Priorite a Droite' when entering roundabouts it occaisionally seems useful  

For  cars which are between three months and seven years old UK second hand does seem significantly cheaper. I imported my Peugeot becasue at four years old with 200,000 Kilometres on the clock it was worth very little it the UK.  I knew it had been regularly serviced and had no mechanical problems.  

However I have recently met two people who had purchased 'bangers' in the UK to reregister in France.  Allowing for say Euros 150 for headlanps unless you go to the scrap yeard, C.T. , Certificate de Conformite and the time spent going to the tax office this does not seem like a good deal. 

I bought a 20 year old BX for Euros 450 from local Citreon dealer last month. Starts on the button, no Flintstone problems no Kojak Tyres , and is keeping friends from down under mobile while they are over for two months. Charles Atlas windows but they need the exercise.

What do you guys think ?

We have no problems with our right hand drive Volvo over here. It was not difficult to re-register, and the cost was no more than it would have cost to take it back to the UK to sell. It is worth about £2500 in the UK, and I have seen the same model (but left hand drive) for sale here for 7,000 euros. We couldn't replace it with a similar quality/spec car here.

There is another alternative - buying a left hand drive car in the UK. If it's French so much the better - easier to re-register. Have you seen how many LHD cars are sold on Ebay?

By the way - if we get a visit tomorrow from two friends from 'down under' in an ancient BX.......................what a coincidence!

When I really have to drive (prefer 2 wheels) I use a 9 year old Lada Niva. I bought it last year for 500 quid from a guy in Bournemouth and I haven't seen one similar but lhd a vendre for less than 2800 euros.

L'Immatriculation est en cours the headlamps are manually adjustable but there is a problem with the wheels. I've got a very nice set of 15" alloys but apparently I need 16" steel ones.

hi all,

i've brought a trailer over with me from the uk (it's very old!) and i want to get it all legal over here, ct etc. Can anyone give me some advice on how to do this. I've been told that i will need a "C of C" from the manufacturer but i guess Noah didn't give them out when it was made

any advice would be greatly appreciated

paul

[quote]hi all, i've brought a trailer over with me from the uk (it's very old!) and i want to get it all legal over here, ct etc. Can anyone give me some advice on how to do this. I've been told that i wil...[/quote]

Welcome aboard.

If your trailer weighs less than 750Kg loaded, then it is legal to use it behind your French car, carring the number plate of the car. It only needs to be roadworthy.

If it is capable of weighing more than 750Kg loaded, then forget it, I doubt if it is worth the effort to register.

If it's that old it probably won't have the gvw stamped on it. What the gendarmes will look for is the presence of brakes on the assumption that a braked trailer is over 750kg. If no brakes then you're in the clear if braked you are probably looking at replacing all the components bar the frame and box or bed with parts that have E numbers, and then a full DRIRE inspection to register it.

Also be aware that standard French car insurance policies will only cover a trailer up to 500kg gvw, anything over that and you need a seperate policy.

Archived