Complete France Forum

when must I change my British license

chocccie

Provided you have a European licence you don’t have to change it unless you commit a traffic offence in France. Then by law you have to change to a French licence. I have just been caught speeding and now have to change mine, but until next week I could not advise the cost, I had in the past tried to change to a French one but they would not do this, but because I have to have points taken away I have to change now.

1.  When you don't have a valid UK address.

By EU law you are not entitled to drive on a licence registered to a former address.

If you change your UK licence DO be aware that if you want to keep all your 'classes' (even the straightforward UK permit) you will probably have to sit a medical.  Normally it's a 5 yearly one, checking heart & eyes etc

So if you have a trailer, caravan or want to drive a Luton van; then make sure that they have you booked in for a medical before you fully change your licence.  The medical in 2004 was 28euros

Umm

chocccie, Rule One of anything to do with French Regs - despite the National Law it seems to depend on where you end up living and which functionaire you talk to...Let me tell you my story...

We moved to France so obviously UK address on licence no longer valid - but DVLC will not accept a foreign address on one of their licences...My wife went to the prefecture in Foix (09) nearly a year ago to change her licence....told "we you don't do that here, we just register you".  She left the office still clutching her UK licence and also in possession of a official letter  from the Prefecture to anyone who cared to ask explaining she was entitled to drive etc.......

I presented myself at the same office to go through the same procedure...... only in my case my English licence was "confiscated" and I am now the proud owner of a Permis de Conduire......no fees or medicals.............

Ta very much, suits me (sir), and I'm happy as larry with my fetching pink licence but consistency!!!!!??????????

The only way of finding out for sure is once the dust has settled after your arrival present yourself at the Prefecture and ask - the locals might be stern but they generally don't bite... just make sure you have half a dozen passport photos of yourself in case they do "go official"

Good luck

Stefan (09)

You know that even after fifteen years, I have still got my UK driving licence and a document from the Préfecture.

Well, I gave Vannes a miss and went to the Sous-Préfecture in Pontivy and all went well and I can go and pick up my new licence in October.

FOUR months.

This subject has been done to death here and before and Audois is wrong, see the previous postings on this subject, the address thing applies only in the UK, the address has no bearing in France, the address is not a big issue here as D/L's are not noramally used as proof of address.  The situation is EXACTLY as Alan said.  You do NOT have to change your UK license UNLESS instructed to by the police. .

You can change it if you want to, and in most departments from March it is now FREE.

chocccie

Sorry for the tardy reply, been away in the local mountains watching some chaps on pedal bikes going up hills at impossible speeds.........

We both had the European / UK paper style licences from ten or so years ago, I now have the French/EU Permis on thin card

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Rgds

Stefan (09)  

Excellent link Les

For those whose French is none to good or haven't a good translation site, the bit relating o the original question on here is as follows:

You reside in France and have a driving licence issued: - either by another Member State of the European Union (UE), - or by another Member State of the European economic Area (EEE).

If you meet all the conditions to use it in France, you can ask for its exchange provided that it is valid. But it is not an obligation.

[quote]Thanks to you all for taking the time to reply - a big help.[/quote]

Thanks Ron, but you don't have to translate at all. Go to the site, from the top menu click on:

"Permis", then click on:

"Europe/Echange de Permis"

then you have in English

"Exchange/ conversion driver's licences"

Can't get much easier than that.

Les

I translated this bit as it seemed to answer he question about if you HAD to change or not, the English version does not

When I clicked on:

Exchange a driving licence of a State member of the European Union  at the top of the page, it went into the French version, which says at the top:

"Vous résidez en France et possédez un permis de conduire délivré :
- soit par un autre État membre de l'Union européenne (UE),
- soit par un autre État membre de l'Espace économique européen (EEE).
Si vous remplissez toutes les conditions pour l'utiliser en France, vous pouvez demander son échange à condition qu'il soit en cours de validité.
Mais ce n'est pas une obligation"

This is  is different to the English version which says:

You live in France. You are a holder of a driving license delivered by a third state in the European Union (EU) or in the European economic Community (EEC).
You can exchange it for a French license, within a period of one year following the purchase of your usual place of residence in France, under certain conditions.

Not the same is it??

[quote]1. When you don't have a valid UK address. By EU law you are not entitled to drive on a licence registered to a former address. If you change your UK licence DO be aware that if you want to keep a...[/quote]

You are confusing EU directives and national laws.

Under EU directives there is no need to change your driving license as long as it is a pink version or newer photo id type. You must change if it expires (e.g if it has an end date), but it does not matter what address it has on it.

The UK have a national law about not being able to use a license without a current valid address. However, this UK national law is overridden by the EU directive when living in another EU country. In fact DVLA has issued covering letters to this effect saying that if you live abroad it does not matter that you have an old address on the license.

These DVLA letters including the official french code de la route on this subject have been previously posted by myself and others on this forum As mentioned above the only reason you need to change a UK license to a French one is if you cause a driving offense in which case French national law obliges you to change it for a french one in order to have your penalties applied.

regs

Richard

Thanks Richard.

If you can post the relevant bits of one of the DVLA letters, or remember where you posted them before, I can add it to the driving licence FAQs as this is something that many people find very difficult to get their heads round (even with your clear explanation).

I knew I had seen something about it myself on some DVLA official paperwork, but could not remember where

Posted 20/04/2005 11:56

Forum Member

Group: Forum Members
Active: Today @ 13:55

I found this an interesting debate, so I emailed the DVLA and asked them direct about living in France with a UK licence; here is their reply

"I regret that we are unable to issue a GB licence showing an address outside Wales, Scotland or England.

Drivers who take up residence in another EC/EEA country no longer have to exchange their driving licence, but may continue to drive using their own national licence for as long as is remains valid. You should however check with the appropriate driving licensing authorities where you are now resident for information on any conditions that the host member state may stipulate.

National licences may only carry an address from the country which issued that licence. We are therefore unable to re-issue your British licence with a foreign address. It is accepted that drivers who move to another part of the EC/EEA could be holding driving licences showing an incorrect address.
This is permissible under the terms of the EC Directive on Driving Licences.

I hope this answers your enquiry."

I think that answers it for me.

Regards
SImon

and ...

http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr ...

the most important articles are 222-1 and 222-2

222-1 : in which the term "peut le faire enregistrer" I.e there is no compulsion - and this is what is reflected in the guidelines of the prefectures.

222-2 : speaks for itself. there is no obliation unles you commit an offence.

Perhaps those having difficulties with their gendarmes should print of a copy and keep with their license

Code de la route
================

Article R222-1 En Vigueur
Cr par Dcret 2001-251 2001-03-22 JORF 25 mars 2001 en vigueur le 1er juin 2001.

En vigueur depuis le 01 juin 2001

LIVRE II : LE CONDUCTEUR.

TITRE II : PERMIS DE CONDUIRE.

Chapitre II : Reconnaissance et quivalences.

Tout permis de conduire national dlivr une personne ayant sa rsidence normale en France par un Etat membre de la Communaut europenne ou d'un autre Etat partie l'accord sur l'Espace conomique europen, en cours de validit dans cet Etat, est reconnu en France sous rserve que son titulaire satisfasse aux conditions dfinies par arrt du ministre charg des transports, aprs avis du ministre de l'intrieur et du ministre charg des affaires trangres. Ces conditions sont relatives la dure de validit, au contrle mdical, aux mentions indispensables la gestion du permis de conduire ainsi qu'aux mesures restrictives qui affectent ce permis.

Dans le cas o ce permis a t dlivr en change d'un permis de conduire d'un Etat n'appartenant pas la communaut europenne ou l'Espace conomique europen et avec lequel la France n'a pas conclu d'accord de rciprocit en ce domaine, il n'est reconnu que pendant un dlai d'un an aprs l'acquisition de la rsidence normale en France de son titulaire.

Tout titulaire d'un des permis de conduire considrs aux deux alinas prcdents, qui tablit sa rsidence normale en France, peut le faire enregistrer par le prfet du dpartement de sa rsidence selon les modalits dfinies par arrt du ministre charg des transports, aprs avis du ministre de l'intrieur et du ministre charg des affaires trangres.

On entend par "rsidence normale" le lieu o une personne demeure habituellement, c'est--dire pendant au moins 185 jours par anne civile, en raison d'attaches personnelles ou d'attaches professionnelles.

Article R222-2

Toute personne ayant sa rsidence normale en France, titulaire d'un permis de conduire national dlivr par un Etat membre de la Communaut europenne ou d'un autre Etat partie l'accord sur l'Espace conomique europen, en cours de validit dans cet Etat, peut, sans qu'elle soit tenue de subir les examens prvus au premier alina de l'article R. 221-3, l'changer contre le permis de conduire franais selon les modalits dfinies par arrt du ministre charg des transports, pris aprs avis du ministre de la justice, du ministre de l'intrieur et du ministre charg des affaires trangres.
L'change d'un tel permis de conduire contre le permis franais est obligatoire lorsque son titulaire a commis, sur le territoire franais, une infraction au prsent code ayant entran une mesure de restriction, de suspension, de retrait du droit de conduire ou de retrait de points. Cet change doit tre effectu selon les modalits dfinies par l'arrt prvu l'alina prcdent, aux fins d'appliquer les mesures prcites.
Le fait de ne pas effectuer l'change de son permis de conduire dans le cas prvu l'alina prcdent est puni de l'amende prvue pour les contraventions de la quatrime classe.

regs Richard

Archived