Complete France Forum

Isuzu Trooper

Steph

Hi, was wondering if anybody has successfully registered a UK Trooper in France? Started the process a few years ago, didn't proceed. Have spent today looking at second hand cars in France and the prices are incredible, so maybe it is worth continuing with the registration. I know it might cost a bit but as the 4x4 market in the UK has sunk perhaps I'll stick with my right hand drive and drive it into the ground ..

Any advice gratefully received ..

Many thanks .

[quote]Hi, was wondering if anybody has successfully registered a UK Trooper in France? Started the process a few years ago, didn't proceed. Have spent today looking at second hand cars in France and the pri...[/quote]

Sorry about this, but forget it.

I spent 18 months trying to get mine through - and failed. Sent it back to the UK eventually.

Your ONLY hope, is if it is one of the very few that they sold in France (different from a "standard" UK Trooper, and very different from any of the Irmscher, Lotus, etc, models).

If yours was a Grey Import to the UK don't even bother.

Read Washy's posts in this section about the DRIRE before you decide to go down that route - then multiply the probs by 10. I was told that I needed to bring the car up (read down) to French standards. That meant changing the wheels, tyres, suspension, bodywork, the CD player (believe it or not!) and oh yes, the engine.

It pisses me off no end that my superb Irmscher couldn't be imported when sh1t like a Disco can.

Don't believe those who tell you that a V5C is equivalent of a Cert. of Conformity - it ain't & it won't get you past the first hurdle.

Take solace in the fact that France are in trouble with the EU for making car importation from other EU states so difficult!

Sorry.

Thanks for your reply Nick, I have a partial certificate of conformity from 2 years ago, and as far as I can make out I need to have tyres and mirrors checked, plus some other things. It's not a grey import and it's a 1995 model, so it's the new shape. It's a shame though, cos I love the car and it does everything we need it to do, ie. pulling a trailer with heavy loads and a mini digger.

Back to the drawing board then I think .. anyone want a UK trooper?!

Archived