Jump to content
Complete France Forum

1st step in the registration process?


Recommended Posts


Thank you to all who have posted on this importation of vehicles topic generally. I just spent the past few hours reading all the various posts and it has set my mind at rest to a degree, though, I'm still a little confused hence this post.

Basically, I came to France for a 3-month holiday and didn't want to leave. My department is 83 (VAR) I just love it here and, at my age in life, I have a bit of financial freedom so I can stretch to staying here for the forseeable future.

I arrived in my old sports car. I say "old" but it's a 1990 Toyota MR2 that I have owned since 1993. Call me sad, but the old thing is a part of my life and I'd like to keep it. The UK road-tax ran out ages ago as I've been here 14 months, and so has the MOT. My French is not all that good, but I'm trying to learn and all that. But the car "issue" is now a pressing problem. I am still insured in the UK at my friend's address, which technically is a no-no I realise, and it's precisely that situation I wish to now move away from.

I could return to the UK, in the car, and get an MOT and tax disc. I could book an MOT, which means I could legally drive from the ferry to the MOT station and to my friend's house. But I dearly wish to continue living in France. So, the proper course, is to simply get the car registered in France with French number plates, French MOT and French insurance.

But what is the first step?

My car was actually sold in France. It has no modifications. I have the new style of DVLA registration certificate. Do I therefore need a C of C? It's just that somewhere I read if you have the new registration certificate issued by an EU country you do not need a C of C. And that is where it gets confusing.

So, again, my question is, what is the very first step?

With kind regards,



Link to comment
Share on other sites

"It's just that somewhere I read if you have the new registration certificate issued by an EU country you do not need a C of C."

This information seems to be appearing on many web sites - maybe if it gets published enough even the officials will believe it to be the case?

The V5C registration certificate replaces the need for a separate export certificate (a need that wasn't widely applied in France anyway). Most officials in French prefectures will still need separate evidence that the vehicle complies with French regulations, either through a European Certificate of Conformity issued by the manufacturer for that specific vehicle, or an attestation issued by the DRIRE. As John says, the best thing is to talk to somebody at your prefecture to see just what they will require.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...