Complete France Forum

satelite navigation

chirpy

I BOUGHT CITROEN C5 IN 2002 WITH NAVTECH SYSTEM.DURING SECOND AND THIRD YEAR STARTED HAVING PROBLEMS SUCH AS I WAS TOLD TO RETURN TO MAIN ROUTE OR ROAD WHEN IN FACT I WAS ON AN A ROAD OR EVEN A MOTORWAY!!!!!!!!!!

CITROEN GARAGE TRIED MANY TIMES TO FIX AND LAST YEAR SAID THE WAR IN IRAQ HAS MADE U.S.A. ADJUST THE SATELITE TO GIVE TERRORISTS PROBLEM.

I AM ABOUT 30 K.M. ACCORDING TO THE INSTUMENT FROM MY ACTUAL POSITION. SATELITE RECEPTION SHOULD STATE 3 ACCORDING TO ENGINEER IN GARAGE BUT IS INDICATING 1.

ANY ADVICE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED AS I HAVE SPENT MORE TIME NAVIGATING AROUND THE IDIOTS IN THE GARAGE THAN ON HOLIDAY.

IT IS A USEFUL TOOL WHEEN IT WORKS.

We have been using a Garmin set up on the bike and in the car all over Europe for the past 7 years we updated to a newer model.

It finds every destination and every turn with out fault and even tells you when in the middle of roundabouts to take the appropriate exit.

And always picks up on at least 4/6 satellites  

I think the garage are clue less and must think the same of you to believe you would fall for that one.

If it was the war in Iraq that made the yanks adjust the satellites then thousands of people would have the same problem  , But then  that’s why Europe is setting up there own system so that the yanks can not mess with it    

It finds every destination and every turn with out fault and even tells you when in the middle of roundabouts to take the appropriate exit.

I use "Tom Tom Navigator" on an Ipaq and it's the same on "Tom Tom Go"  there are huge holes in the French maps usually with new roads that have been in situ several years but don't appear to have been updated. When it works though and that's most of the time it's great.

I BELIEVE THE MANUFACTURER IS DUTCH AS THEY KEEP TRYING TO SELL MAPS OF OTHER COUNTRIES.

MY QUESTION IS STILL UNANSWERRED.----HOW DO YOU FIX THE BLOODY THING??????????????????????

EVEN MY WIFE IS BETTER THAN THE NAVIGATION SYSTEM AND THAT IS SAYING SOMETHING,.

HOPE SHE DOES NOT READ THIS OR I WILL NEED A NEW HEAD.!!!!!!!!!

If it's an hardware fault then, I don't know what you can do other than write to Citroen and ask, if it's a software problem I  believe you should have been supplied with a Cd with the map on it, if so then reinstall the software.

[quote]I BELIEVE THE MANUFACTURER IS DUTCH AS THEY KEEP TRYING TO SELL MAPS OF OTHER COUNTRIES. MY QUESTION IS STILL UNANSWERRED.----HOW DO YOU FIX THE BLOODY THING?????????????????????? EVEN MY WIFE...[/quote]

The actual unit will be made by one of the large manufacturers. The Ford group for example use Becker.

Unlike Garmins and PDA units these are far, far, more accurate and should be accurate to within half a metre (or less) when working correctly. Why is this? Well it does not use GPS as its main source of location. It uses sensors on the drive shaft coupled with accelerometers (hence they work in underground car parks and tunnels). When you get the unit new you have to carry out a set of manovers with the car as part of the setup procedure. This sort of gels all the sensors together. These systems have a master reset, usually by a menu selection. Once initiated you carry out the manovers as described in either the handbook or the installation manual which you should also have received with the car (these systems are dealer fitted as an option). It is, would you believe, important to keep the correct tyre pressure (read the manual) as this decreases or increases the diameter of the wheel which can affect the accuracy.

One route you can take is to contact the manufacture in the UK i.e. their main office. They may be able to tell you over the phone how to reset the system and what manovers you need to carry out afterwards or at least put you in contact with somebody who can. If this fails it could be a dodgy sensor. You will also find you can get upgraded maps as Navtech (they are the leaders in Europe and have the most up to date mapping) issue new ones every year from your main dealer. They use to be £120 from Ford but I guess the cost has dropped over the last couple of years. They also hold more data than the Navtec maps used by CoPilot, Garmin etc.

Hope this makes sense and helps you; let us know how you get on.

Sorry about some of the spelling.

Archived