Complete France Forum

Very Happy - I think!!

MargaretD

I think I'm going to get French plates for my car next week!

Last week I popped into the DRIRE office in Troyes with a form I'd downloaded from the Internet.  They told me to go to get a quittus fiscal from another office in Bar sur Aube, which I did when we popped in yesterday.  They gave me that (What no money?)  And they told me to walk across the road and down a lane to the Sous Prefecture to give them my paperwork. She took my logbook etc., gave me a scrap of paper, and told me to come back next week for my no plate number etc

What have I missed out?  We haven't had our lights changed or anything.  Is it really this simple, or am I in for a shock next Wednesday?

Margaret

You don't get your number plates at the sud prefecture, you get a carte grise with your reg plate number which you take to a plate maker.

If you don't have a current CT with 18 months to run on it you will/should not get your carte grise, if you have got a CT then the tester slipped up in not checking your lights if they are for RHD/UK use.

Was the slip of paper a check list of the documents that you need for immatriculation by any chance?

If you don't have a current CT with 18 months to run on it you will/should not get your carte grise, if you have got a CT then the tester slipped up in not checking your lights if they are for RHD/UK use.

Unless of course if the car is less than 4 years old, but certainly in our region (47) at the Prefecture or sous Prefecture the Carte Grise is Printed out while you wait.

mmmm...

We weren't told to take the car for a test as it is not year 2 years old.  And yes, I know I don't get the number plates from the SP, just the number, but that's what I meant!

Do you think someone is going to tell me on Wednesday to hav a CT or not?  I hope not... as we're going to England in October, and I've never seen headlight convertors for French cars..

inform you on Wednesday what the result was.

M

Ok, if your car is less than 4 years old you don't need a CT...great, but that still makes your headlights illegal! What happens if you have an accident (at night!) Do you think insurance will cover you? I don't know, but knowing insurance companies, I'd guess they'd clutch at any straw not to pay out!

Archived