Complete France Forum

At last - my 1st speeding fine

Fritz

After 4 years I finally get my come-uppance and get snapped on that very nice downhill bendy bit going down the A75 to Lodeve. An R413-13, 12kph over the limit 45€ fine and 1 point, it seems.

I understand from the blurb that I'll get a notification from the big place where they manage licenses and the deduction of points will be automatically happen. However, as I still use a UK license, will I have to wait until they write me or should I get a new license asap. Any info, advice, most welcome.

I'm awaiting my second to drop into my postbox any day. I was blinded by an extremely bright flash the other day in a ridiculous 30k zone. I'm assuming it was a mobile/handheld speedgun

Sorry, I can't advise you re the UK licence as I have a French one, but deductions of points are done automatically in the central computer.

[quote]I paid mine online it saved filling out the forms - I have a European driving licence issued in UK so am awaiting the outcome. I will let you know if they force me to have a French European licence.[/quote]

A couple I know (no, not us!) were both caught speeding (not at the same time!). At the time, they both had UK licences.

Alan was caught by an automatic speed trap, paid up as instructed by post and that was all he heard, despite the notification of point deduction.

Wendy was caught by a hand-held speed trap. The gendarme wrote on her fine that she HAD to change to a French licence in order for the points to be deducted. She paid up and was made to change to a French licence.

Clair

I know from my friend's experience who also had a UK licence, if you get flashed by an automatic fixed camera, then you pay the fine on time that's it, you don't hear anymore, the same thing as Claire's friend, unless you have reached the points deducted limit then I guess you will get a visit or be asked to produce your Licence and as Fantine says the points are recorded on a computer somewhere.

Archived