Complete France Forum

Lost carte grise

Lottie in Lot

I went to the Gendarmarie with my passport and an EDF bill. They produced a tempory Carte Grise which they filled in and stamped for me, it lasts for 30 days. Take this to your prefecture and they will give you a duplicate over the counter. If you don't do it this way you can't drive the car as the French law clearly states that you must have the Carte Grise in the car when driving. If you download the form and fill it in you can't use your car till you get your duplicate back. I thought it was going to be a big job, knowing France, but no, in and out the prefecture in 20 mins and the Gendarmes took about 15 minutes.

Well thats the law but having said that my insurance broker told me never to leave the Carte Grise in the car in case it gets stolen but the Gendarmes have always asked for it when I have been stopped so I do leave it in tha car at all times. It's a bit like the rest of the insurance document (the bit you tear the little square bit off and stick it in the window) you are, by law, required to keep that in your car at all times.

Lottie

Sorry this won't help you in your present predicament but it may help for the future. We've recently exchanged our French car and when the carte grise for the new vehicle came from the prefecture I noticed a tear off slip on the bottom. I can't remember if the carte grise for the old car also had this tear off slip.

In my limited French it seems to say that if you sell the car in the future to a private individual you should send off the slip. If it's sold to a garage you don't need to but it also says that if you loose the carte grise you can obtain another on production of the tear off slip.

If I've got this right this would have helped in your situation but off course don't forget to keep the tear off slip in a safe place.

Benjamin.

Archived