Jump to content
Complete France Forum

Insurance for French car in UK

Rob G

Recommended Posts

We're moving to Normandy in a couple of months, and are arranging to buy a French LHD car over there in a few weeks' time. We'd like to go and collect it and bring it back over here, use it here for a few weeks and then move over to France with it in November. So I need an insurance policy that will cover it in the UK for the brief time that it'll be here (maybe a month or just over).

Our existing UK insurance company will only insure UK-registered vehicles, so this is no good. Does anyone have any advice on the best way of doing this? I'd be quite happy to get a French policy which we can then continue with once we're living there, but I don't know if a French insurance company will give us cover before we've actually moved over? (As we won't yet have a verifiable French address.)

Also, can anyone give us an idea of how much car insurance costs relative to UK prices?

Finally, I've driven a company car in the Uk for the last five years with no claims. If I can get proof of this, will this be accepable to a French insurer as entitlement to a no claims "bonus"?


Link to comment
Share on other sites


I've just arranged car insurance with this company:

Allée Julien Laudet
32800 - Eauze (France)
Tél. (33) - (0)
Fax (33) - (0)
Email : philip@insurance.fr
I live in Australia at present and am flying out to France in a week and a bits time. My car is still being built but this company are English speaking and very helpful. I don't know if they cover you to drive in the UK, it's something I want to know too but keep forgetting to ask.
I don't know how their costs compare to the UK, but they are a lot higher than Australian companies. I guess the only comparison I can give is that I was paying about 300 pounds a year for my Volvo 460 1.8i 8 years ago fully comp. I've been quoted 700 euros for a brand new Peugeot 206CC 1.6i convertible by this company.
I think you need 13 years no claims to have full no claims in France or whatever the maximum is. I can only prove 7 with my Aussie insurance but this company have given me full no claims.
Hope this helps.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All (most) French motor insurance is Europe-wide, so, if you are insured in France, you are equally insured in the UK. Get a French policy.

You will not be able to insure a French car without a French address. Nor will you be able to register it with a UK address, so if you are buying the vehicle before you have completed on your house, you will need to arrange the "use" of the address with the Vendors and the Notaire. Tell/ask them what you intend doing and your insurance company will (should!) accept a note from the Notaire stating that you are in the process of buying at this address (as will the Sous-Prefecture for the registration).

There are plenty of places to buy motor insurance on every high street in France. If you find a good broker, they will probably be able to take your company car driving record into account.

I have found that French insurance is about 10-20% cheaper than the UK, although the cover is different (eg. it usually includes breakdown cover).


Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...